1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who Loves James Martin?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Saracubbons, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Have you seen his new prog about Hospital Food?
    Personally he turns me off.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So why start a thread asking 'Who loves James Martin'?

3. Why did you bother replying if all you want to do is have an argument?

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

He's OK, not as bad as JO or AWT!!

5. now, now....no argy bargy allowed on cookery!
    Can't stand AWT - aaaggghhh I feel queasy now. James Martin is okay but I wouldn't turn to his books if I needed a recipe.
    I freely confess to using some JO recipes and I still use some Delia recipes too but the best, the very best is Nigel Slater and Claudia Roden. My gurus.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

In RL James Martin is a lovely person and does a lot of charity and community work.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm not fussed on him or his food. I was given a book of his that I've since given away, as I didn't find it particularly inspiring. I'm also a little unsure of his credentials, and I'm always a little suspicious of people who spring to popularity in TV cookery with little in the way of illustrated success beforehand (such as a fabulous restaurant or a magazine column). I know his new restaurant has been panned.
    I'm not sure what the point is of a thread that seems to be purely designed to be unpleasant about someone, though. I'm sure he's perfectly nice, it's just that his food doesn't appeal to me and I don't find his presenting style appealing either. I know nothing of his food writing, if indeed he's done any.
    He's got a deli in Winchester, which is near us. I've been in there many times (fabulous bread, cheese and charcuterie), but have yet to see him there.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

He's not my favourite TV chef.
    I do watch Saturday Kitchen on occassion - and some of his creations put a strain on my heart just watching him make them...cream and butter and cheese, then cook a while and add a little more cream and butter, cook again and add more cream to serve!

I do wish him well in his attempt to reform hospital food.

9. He seems perfectly pleasant as a TV personality. Don't know how he rates as a chef. Am I right in thinking his career has mostly been on telly rather than in restaurants?
    His love of butter makes me worry about the state of his arteries.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm indifferent.

11. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Me too Paradoxical. My OH calls Saturday Kitchen my Saturday **** [​IMG]

I like the fact he's not scared to used butter and cream with wild abandon. Too many others are far too health-conscious and forget that sometimes it's ok for food to be indulgent!

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

A PGCE student did that to me last year. His eyeline was directly at my chest and he turned beetroot red when I said 'Yes, I know they're huge but if you could look at my face when we're having a conversation I'd be eternally grateful.' [​IMG]

13. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I challenged him with GF pasta ( in its early days when it was discusting!) on Ready Steady Cook Roadshow at Halifax Theatre. He suffered severely from WHT - not pleasant behind a mocked up kitchen worktop!

James Martin is lush... [​IMG]

14. I have met and disliked Wozza. He was a bit abrupt and dismissive.
    I have also said "Oh! Hello" to JM, in his deli. He smiled and laughed, especially when I apologised for being so familiar. He then proceeded to make sure I sample everything! What's not to like??
    I have one of his books... winter cooking?? Simple stuff but cooked like your gran would - all the butter and full fat cream. Very nice but not every day!
    I also once had the great misfortune to be in the same pub restaurant as the great Floyd. We had our meal comped he was so foul!

And that all sound as though I move in culinary circles [​IMG]
    Wozza was at a Food thingy, JM, well it was a deli, I didn't actually know it was his! And Floyd was just unfortunate!

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I've been pondering this one for a good five mins and I'm stumped! What is WHT?

16. I used top likr him but now think he`s far too up ...........