1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who lives in a house?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mollymillions, Apr 11, 2019.

1. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

What I really mean is who is in a place where the salary/allowance is enough to cover renting a house which is near-ish to the school they work in? Which city are you in?
    I'm in a house now, but the only way I can afford it is to live miles away from work with a long commute. I've lived in apartments before, but I don't really like it. I like to garden and have access to an outdoor space, even if it's only big enough for one plant pot. Across the family we also ride a load of different kinds of bikes and fitting them into a small apartment is difficult, and getting them up and down in a lift is cumbersome. Garden flats are better than nothing, but they can be just as hard to find.
    I'd crossed a few places off the list because I assumed that it was all tiny flats, but a passing comment from a friend made me realise that my assumptions were not really based on anything.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i personally dont mind a flat, but in everyone of the countries i have worked in people have had houses. it has meant much more of a commute though, due to most schools being in large cities. when i was in South East Asia i asked to be moved because my house was so huge i never actually went it to 2 bedrooms.

the only place where it was a struggle with allowance covering the rent was Spain..... thats because i didnt have one, and the rent was really high and took up a huge amount of my pathetic salary.

3. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I'm in Abu Dhabi and I live in a flat. I pocket the surplus accommodation allowance, but I could live in a villa for the amount we get, but it would be around a 25 min drive away from work. I prefer a flat though as the facilities are better - private gym, under ground parking, swimming pool, etc.

mollymillions likes this.
  4. 576

576 Established commenter

My last and current schools provide housing.
    I'm single and without children, my lady school housed me in a lovely bungalow with large garden, 2 bedrooms, 1 double and 1 single.

My current school has housed me in a 4 bedroom house with 3 bedrooms a driveway wide enough to park 2 cars on and a medium sized backyard.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

We have a nice little house with a yard, two car (small car) parking, grill area on the side of the house etc., in west Tokyo. We are a 5 minute drive from school. Other than not being within walking distance of a train station it's pretty much perfect. Our allowance more than covers rent and utilities.

Mr_Frosty and mollymillions like this.
  6. mollymillions

But which cities are these in?

7. 24hours

24hours New commenter

We live in a house very close to the school. I would be very reluctant to move anywhere that didn't have this as an option as we have two kids and a garden is very important for us

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I could, probably, but choose not to and pocket the difference. I figure that, since you usually spend at least 9 hours of the day not in the house, and another 8 hours sleeping, why go over the top for the other 7?

9. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

We had a house in Al Rehab, Cairo. We didn't work in Rehab though, so 20 minute drive to school. Shanghai we had a nice 3 bed apartment. Now in Thailand, we have a 3 bed detached house with garden, car port and communal pool. We're not in a city. 10 minute drive to school.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

No one said they were in cities and they aren't.
    The first was Africa and the second South East Asia.
    I won't be more specific as it potentially identifies me as I've never worked in any of the more popular countries.

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Shanghai the rent allowance allows a great many options. Majority of staff live in large appartments near to the school, or a smaller place in the center of the nightlife and restaurants.

Some of the appartment compounds contain large green spaces and ground floor appartments that open with French Windows are readily available. The appartments and compounds with most green space are on the Pudong side of the river, but so are most of the large international schools.

12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Al Rehab, that splendid place for ex-alcoholics, Helen-Back. Yes, I remember it well, in the words of the sloppy old French song.

Mrs Hippopotamus and I often go to our villa in Kalotina for the weekend. Our apartment in Sofia is very pleasant and convenient, but it is nice to go to your own place.

small 3.jpg

Wannabsupawoman likes this.
  13. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

You can get houses near to our campuses but the ones in town don't have gardens or outdoor space. They're more like apartments over three floors. Some people working at our HS campus in the mountains live up there in houses with gardens, but then they are miles away from the city. Apartments here generally have basements with parking where you can put bikes and scooters.
    (Taipei, Taiwan)

14. mollymillions

“Region” would probably be better than “city” then, but either way I get your point.

15. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

I used to live in a house (in Asia) with a lovely garden. But with king cobras and constrictors about I quickly relocated. I now live in a flat that's a 5 minute drive to school (with "traffic"). I get an extra 2 hours to sleep time a night because of the proximity. But the best thing is, the left overs for the last 5 years have gone towards the mortgage.

I do miss being outdoors or just having a balcony. But owning my own home (at home) outright takes precedent.

16. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Kuala Lumpur - tons of houses in most parts of the city and near to the schools that are outside the city. Many are walkable distance to schools and cost less than apartments. Not all have outdoor space, but most do.

17. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

In Bucharest plenty of teachers have houses near to school (north of city).

18. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

I live in a house in Mexico city 4 mins to work in the car and about a 15 min walk I have a large garden 2 beds huge and 4 bath rooms and I dont pay any top up ... and a large car park

19. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I sent you a conversation.

20. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

We have a beautiful house in the hills on the outskirts of a European capital. We used to live closer to the school in an apartment but I'd take a house with a bigger commute any day of the week. Apartment living isn't for me. My commute is 25 minutes each way but it's a really pleasant drive and I'd hate to live too close (well, you can't live withing 10 minutes anyway because of the school's location)