1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who knows anything about taps?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by GLsghost, Aug 9, 2015.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The previous owners of our house fitted very expensive taps into our bathroom. I mean very expensive gold Max Pike taps at over £1000 (yes, I know...).

The sick has three hole taps and the cold one will turn on but will not release water at all. A plumber has had a go at undoing the tap to look but cannot get it to unscrew at all. The whole thing is seized.

I know you can get replacement brass insides for taps. Mr GL can't see any other option than to replace the sink taps completely, but he won't replace like for like, which means the sink and bath taps will not match any more. Replacement taps would still be expensive (though not as expensive as replacing with the same) but then a permanent source of irritation with taps that don't match.

I can't believe there isn't a solution to unscrewing the tap and replacing the insides. Any ideas please?

2. Try another plumber?

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think this is the perfect opportunity to go for a new bathroom GLsG! Then you can have matching taps ( Hansgrohe are very nice.)

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Never heard of them, but if I was ever daft enough to pay that much for a tap, I'd expect it to come with a lifetime guarantee. Have you asked Max Pike whether he wants to sort it out and get a [​IMG] rather than have this thread appear high up the list in a google search?

Your plumber is unlikely to be able to do more than he's done in your bathroom if he says he can't fix it, but had you brought the tap to my workshop when I had it, I'd have found a way to free it.

Among the many problems we encounter in the global world we now live in is the imagination that there are global standards for everything, when the truth is, there isn't. We all know that in the southern hemisphere, water twists its way down the plughole in the opposite direction to the northern hemisphere. How many plumbers appreciate that tap screw threads work similarly?

Here in the northern hemisphere, we're accustomed to right-hand threads and the reason for it is that they are automatically self-tightening. If you lived in the southern hemisphere with right-handed threads though, you'd find them forever coming loose, so it'd common sense down there to use left-handed threads.

5. Can you flog the taps on eBay?

DoY, I understand the principle by which water flows the other way down the plughole in the S hemisphere, but admit that I had no knowledge of the fact until I watched a Simpsons episode (HEY! EDUCATIONAL!) and had to put up with my state-educated kids falling about like Peppa Pig's family when I asked if it were true.

But the screw-tightening? Wossatallabout?

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Wossatallabout is that DIY saw you coming. [​IMG]

7. I only buy whateverthreaded taps. Yeah. Can't do me.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If the tap wont move you have 2 choices.

I have not meet these taps before

a) you can look online and make sure they unscrew in convential ways

b) you can take to tap off the sink and toa workshop..there that can clamp it i a vice and probably loose in

c) if as i suspect the are ceramic disc taps you might have a job to remove out of its holder.

I would contact the maker of the tap first.explain the problem and see if they could

54 The Burroughs

Postcode/City:

SW8 4BP London

Phone:

020 8202 8288

Fax:

+44 (0) 20 8202 6439

www.maxpike.com

this si one place selling his stuff

9. oldsomeman

Ps the tap could have a air block in the pipe.

its not recommended but you can connect one tap to this non running one and see if you can get water from the active one into the cold one.This sometimes clears the air block.but be advised its not legal but it works.

I assumed you have checked the water is running into other taps,,If it running into the other bath tap or appliances near by then it should be working there. check that a small penny tap valve has not been turned off under the sink.One assumes the plumber would have checked. If the turn of valve is there then you can turn it off and disconnect the union and see water is there...if it is then its definitely the tap and you will probably need to remove it so you can work on it more easily.Being gold plated it needs handling with care.

10. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I have a semi-continuous air lock on my bath hot tap and have to do what oldsome suggests regularly. Don't know why it keeps happening but I fix it temporarily doing what is suggested above found the idea after looking on youtube for advice. All sorts of stuff there.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Change both sets of taps. Then they'll match.

12. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

We've tracked down the distributer, Olds and have the same details as you've found.

Definitely water to all the other taps and appliances in the area and no valve switched off. The problems started with the water from the tap running with less and less volume and then a dribble and finally no water at all. In terms of movement, the tap switches on and off easily - just no water comes out. The plumber coud not find any way of unscrewing the tap to investigate at all - everything inside seems to be seized solid.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Sign up to Homeserve! They've saved us a fortune over the years, coming out the same day to all plumbing and electrical problems. Worth their weight in gold.

14. oldsomeman

The plumber is right in seeking to undo the tap....i suspect the washer which controls the flow of water in and out might have come detached.or even the spindle unscrewed. The tap top need careful handling if you are not damage the gold plating.normally you can try things like heating the top part...but not yours. I still think the best suggestion is removing the tap and then work on a bench with it to dismantle it.

Its probability never been opened before and so is fixed by gunze and soap etc..i assume you have tried a squirt of WD 40 and left that to penetrate.

15. marlin

marlin Star commenter

We had a similar problem in our bathroom. We bought tap revivers - but these change the head (I mean the bit you turn) of the tap and so you are still left with the mismatch problem. We had revivers put on all of the taps in the bathroom - but we were only looking for a temporary solution as we were going to change the suite anyway later so we didn't buy expensive ones.