1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who is your favourite Pratchett character?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, May 8, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Another step towards having a complete Pratchett set....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I just remembered a dream I had... I dreamt of Jason Issac, the actor, and I was telling him he needed to go up for the part of Vimes.

It was so clear... and clearly a sign!

3. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

So maybe the powers that be will look into creating an adaptation or two featuring the Watch with Sam taking centre stage?

mathsmutt likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For anyone interested in Pratchett, my son was saying today there are rumours about a potential film/ series. And that's not the previous one on Netflix was it?
    Obviously a difficult task to transcribe Pratchett's 'voice' in his book, so they're just looking at 'The Watch'. Sounds interesting though.:)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Jamvic, lanokia and mathsmutt like this.
  5. beth_silva

beth_silva New commenter

I love the Color of magic, truly. Somehow I got caught by it, even though my DH said it was too boring to watch. Sorry not sorry, my love!
    Yes, it's not an easy task to translate the whole living setting into a live action series, but "The Watch" seems to be the best option. According to wiki, "On October 30, 2018, BBC America announced that it ordered an eight-episode series of The Watch written by Simon Allen" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watch_(TV_series))

Jamvic likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I read Monstrous Regiment. Not read it before and it was perfectly enjoyable... not exactly much depth and seemed a bit... flimsy. But perfectly good fun and well written.

Have received Going Postal in the mail so that'll be next....

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

At last! Thank goodness! I knew I’d seen news of a Good Omens TV programme on a forum. I’ve been trawling all the forums I look at regularly as I couldn’t remember where it had been mentioned.

Anyway, @lanokia as you seem very up on these things I wondered if you have any idea if this will be available to watch/ stream anywhere other than from Amazon TV services. If not I’ll have to look into the costs involved :(.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

It's being coproduced by the BBC and will be shown on BBC after it appears on Amazon (November I believe)

Edit: whilst I'm looking forward to it I'd have preferred to see Armageddon the musical made into a tv series

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Thank you so much, that is brilliant news. :):)

lanokia likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

As Stiltskin says... the BBC...

All 6 episodes will be on Amazon Prime on May 31st.

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05 and JL48 like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Many thanks. :) I really want to watch this but already feel like we spend too much on Sky services to add another service on.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

upload_2019-9-11_19-58-56.png

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/richard-dormer-leads-watch-cast/

Interesting choices... the young man bottom right is cast as Carcer... which is the villain from Night Watch.

And maybe they'll do heavy make up but Lady Sybil [bottom left] isn't how I pictured her. No, not her skin colour... I always pictured Lady Sybil as much more heavy... rotund, chubby... a big boisterous lass...but it is a headshot so maybe that'll change.

Where are Fred Colon and Nobby?

Filming commences September 30th in South Africa [???!?? why?]

JL48 likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On a side note, we're watching Carnival Row on Amazon Prime and the visual effects, realising an imaginary world with a diverse range of creatures in a regular street scene... impressive...

If they do this right then I can imagine Ankh Morpok coming to life on the small screen.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Went to see an AmDram performance of Mort last night. Highly entertaining and I had a good chuckle.

MrsLan not so much... she isn't a Pratchett person.

Only flaw was the theatre seats which were damnably uncomfortable and made my delicate behind most achy.

Jamvic and JL48 like this.
  16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Sounds like something Nanny Ogg might say.

Jamvic and lanokia like this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

We are visiting friends & family during the Oct half term holiday and my niece has suggested we go for a day out while in the area to visit The Discworld Emporium. As soon as she mentioned Terry Pratchett I remembered this thread. I’m really looking forward to it actually, apparently some of the streets in the town are named after places in the novels. Has anyone else been there? Is the town a nice place to spend a day.

Visit the Discworld Emporium, a treasure trove of Terry Pratchett trinkets, books and ephemera in Ankh-Morpork's very own twin town!

8D703787-5E07-4AC3-B544-24649733AC9F.jpeg
    ‘A stone’s throw from the attractions of Longleat, Glastonbury and a certain ancient rockery called Stonehenge, the [Discworld] Emporium is a cosy and magical place where you can find the complete collection of Terry’s books, mingle with fellow fans, and find a wealth of products and ephemera that bring the characters and concepts of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld to life.’

18A61195-51BF-4E17-9BEB-F240453F8858.jpeg

EF7924D4-C202-4040-9198-3561FD83AE0F.jpeg
    https://www.discworldemporium.com/content/7-visit-us

JL48 and lanokia like this.