1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who is your favourite Pratchett character?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, May 8, 2016.

1. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I noticed today that @mathsmutt has a forum signature mentioning Gaspode, Terry Pratchett's rough and ready talking dog. I love the many quirky and wonderful characters that Pratchett included in his books and this signature made me think of some of them. It's hard to pick a favourite though...who would your favourite Pratchett character be and why?

lanokia and mathsmutt like this.
  2. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

This is really hard for me as I love the discworld ensemble but I think I'm going to go for Granny Weatherwax.

The stubbornness, indefatigability, common sense and underlying vunerability make this character really three dimensional. I relate to her strong outer persona, her inner insecurities and her implied fight against depression.

I like how Pratchett paints the complexity of her coping with a fierce intellect and innate powers as a backwoods village female and how her practical 'craft' keeps her grounded by caring for and coping with the daily grind of the crazy, stupid or disposesed in her society.

Yeah... Granny wins it for me.

guinnesspuss and mathsmutt like this.
  3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Definitely Gaspode,who displays the best part of dogliness.
    (Followed by Angua and Magrat Garlick.)

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    lanokia and peggylu like this.
  4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Granny - definitely. Nanny Ogg, Vimes and the Patrician (odd that one).
    Am just starting to re-read the whole series.

JL48, peggylu and mathsmutt like this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Greebo
    or Tiffany Aching

peggylu and mathsmutt like this.
  6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Death has to be worth a mention, not forgetting Albert and Binky too

lanokia, guinnesspuss and mathsmutt like this.
  7. guinnesspuss

I love DEATH!

JL48, kerensaann, lanokia and 4 others like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

peggylu and guinnesspuss like this.
  9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I know!! I know!! I love Death too.

He tries so hard to get his head around the human experience. I love his every appearance.

I've got the same problem. TP was such a genius at character development over all the strands of the different stories that it's difficult to pick just one favourite.

When you said Grebo and Tiff @Flere-Imsaho I wanted to chime in, me too, me too!

What about the wee free's, how could anyone not love them. Vimes' journey from drunkard to nobility, Corporal/Captain Carrot, the double act that is Nobby and Fred...

This is an impossible thread, what idiot started it. :oops:

10. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Don't forget the vermine!

11. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I had a Vermine coat, but the anti fur movement of the 70's persuaded me to donate it to charity.

mathsmutt and guinnesspuss like this.
  12. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Did you have a fear of heights and the urge to jump off cardboard boxes when you wore it ?:)

delenn, guinnesspuss and peggylu like this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I too have a great many favourites but like others DEATH is definitely in the running.

guinnesspuss, mathsmutt and peggylu like this.
  14. guinnesspuss

Just finished Book 6 - Wyrd Sisters. Has to be one of my favourites.
    Pyramids is up next, but I'm not sure whether to leave it till later. I can't remember it really apart from the Djeli beybis (Sp?)

Funnily enough I'm not too fond of Rincewind - don't know why.

mathsmutt likes this.
  15. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Excellent for camels doing maths!

Flere-Imsaho and peggylu like this.
  16. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Pyramids is one of my favourites because I love the ending ( I won't go into it if you've forgotten @guinnesspuss ) but I always end up in a deep muse pondering the nature of time and reality.

I'm a bit envious of you actually, I too re-read all TP's books periodically but I have to leave a few years between re-reads so that I've forgotten enough of the plots to enjoy them again. Never as good as the first read though :(.

Throwing a curveball into the mix who, like me, also loves the non-discworld comedy masterpiece that is Good Omens. Gaiman and Pratchett, unbeatable!

JL48 and mathsmutt like this.
  17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

You've got to admire his survival skills though. The quintessential anti-hero. Like him best in Eric, Interesting Times and The Last Continent.

mathsmutt likes this.
  18. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Went to a reasonably good
    Amateur dramatic performance of this last year. Can't understand why there aren't more professional theatrical offerings from TP's canon, his fan base is big enough to make it profitable surely. Look at the success of the films.

mathsmutt likes this.
  19. Flere-Imsaho

I am but I like Flashman too and he's the same kind of hero. I would like a Luggage.

JL48, mathsmutt and peggylu like this.
  20. guinnesspuss

A Luggage would solve all my hoarding needs.

:):):)

mathsmutt and peggylu like this.