1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who is to blame for CfE 2012?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by nittygritty, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Here are a couple of extracts from Mark Priestley and Sarah Minty?s research paper, ?Developing Curriculum
    for Excellence: Summary of findings from research undertaken in a Scottish local authority?:

?CfE places the teacher at the heart of curriculum development ? as an agent of change. And yet, schools are places where such agency is often restricted by accountability practices that hinder innovation. National agencies and local authorities should carefully consider how the negative effects of accountability systems may be countered.

? implementation (of CfE) is dependent upon the active engagement of professional and committed teachers. Our research has convinced us that Scotland has a highly professional and motivated teaching workforce; however, such engagement has been rendered difficult for many by a lack of clarity and coherence in the documents that have guided implementation, and the lack of systematic processes for closing the implementation gap between policy and practice.?

http://www.ioe.stir.ac.uk/research/projects/documents/StirlingCfEresearch-report_March2012.pdf

2. I found much to agree with in their general analysis and in their implications for policy in particular. However, I suspect it's too much to hope for, that anyone in power is going to pay any real attention to this. I predict a typical Mike Russell whitewash and the typical COSLA response of off-loading onto teachers.

3. 'Many teachers ?pointed to tensions ?between the open ways of working advocated within CfE, and a continued emphasis on accountability driven by pressures to raise attainment. Such tensions further intensified the difficulties (and risks) experienced in implementing CfE.'

http://mrpriestley.wordpress.com/

What should the Scottish Government do to shore up CfE? Scrap STACs or dumb down the new exams?

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

Recently inspected and the main area of interest was results.....STACS rule the day!
    I fear for our current S2 being guinea pigs in around 2 years time.
    Not to worry though...NAT 4 is internally assessed so that'll improve the results!
    As for NAT 5....who knows?

5. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Original question?
    "Who is to blame for CfE 2012?"

Answer: All of us for not speaking out. The culture in schools just now is appalling. It is now an endemic in-joke that anyone wanting advancement cannot speak the truth.

6. Absolutely - and apposite in discussing CfE because if ever there was a precise area to use the analogy of the Emperor's new clothes , it is this.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

This has been said many times before on here! When it all starting,I really thought that people would just laugh at it all and it would all go away. I was so wrong.

8. Hi Catmum
    I've just PM'd you.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You've got mail.

10. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Totally agree - I have been much like you, campaigning, responding and even heavily involved in Reclaim EIS. Totally pointless - it's and old boys and girls club where the deliverers have no say. Now taken medical advice and I am disengaging from all non-core activities. I am expecting courses when I start back in August but I'm not holding my breath.

11. Best not to, as you'll just expire. The reason for this is that those of us old enough to remember last century recognise the new exams for what they are, in my subject at least, English- a rehash of the old SCOTVEC communication modules. There were no courses, as such, merely LOs and PCs. You had to make up your own assessments against the PCs. The "rigorous moderation procedures" that we are promised this time then involved some guy on expenses rolling up to look at your material and pupil responses. Sometimes they didn't give a fukc, other times they put you "on hold" because one of your assessments didn't have one kind of question or another. When they went away, you had to remedy matters, which tended to be fairly easy. I once had a whole FE college on hold because one of my reading assessments had no question about audience. When you told adult students what the course assessments involved, they said "Fine, but what do we do next week?" You had to explain that that was the course from August to Christmas. The greatest disaster ever to hit Scottish education was the amalgamation of the SEB and SCOTVEC, and the fact that SCOTVEC won the power struggle. Their philosophy still reigns.