1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who is the oddest/strangest colleague you ever worked with?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Feb 20, 2011.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Teachers fascinate me, from their moaning and whingeing about pay and conditions to their workaholic states, to their anal retentive control freak nature about things that in the bigger world matter not one bit
    However the oddest people I ever worked with were the HT and DHT of my last school who were workaholic slavedrivers who would get in daily at half 7 and leave 12 hours later, check staffs books late at night, have meetings before meetings eg moderation (as they didnt trust staff at all), spend all half term working and then 30 hrs a week in their Summer holidays. They lived and breathed their work and hell betide you if you werent the same. It was a horrible school full of 'do nots' for staff eg laugh, be a human being, down to earth, bring a sense of perspective to things
    They had managed thought to almost clone the entire school community in this corporate spreadsheet central way from the businessman Chair of Govs to the caretaker who at kids discos would go round after them with a dustpan picking up sweets and the odd crisp on the floor
    I just could not work them out and still to this day cannot, I thankfully left very quickly after the most miserable and destroying 4 terms of my career and remain eternally grateful that I did

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

You should hear what they say about you, Heron

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

and about you Im sure...twice over

4. I've been relatively lucky with the teachers I've worked with. Only one sticks out. She was a head of year and would be very chatty and friendly in staff meetings with everyone (especially HT of course).
    Out of the glare of the SMT, she was rude. Not to everyone, just to TAs. It was bizarre. We're a friendly bunch and when we would pass her in the corridor, we'd say 'good morning' etc, to be greeted by frosty silence.
    Each of us wondered if we'd done something to upset her. Then one day someone mentioned it in the staff room, and all of us said "She does the same to me!". Her own TA has issues with her - teacher leaves her a list of things to do at the back of the classroom, and if she tries to chat about something on there, is told to write her query down and leave it on the teacher's desk. She responds via note.
    Other teachers are treated normally, with a good ol' natter in the staff room, or if they pop in fromn the next classroom to ask a question, but the TAs are treated like dirt.
    very bizarre behaviour, and just glad I've got the lovely CT that I have!