1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Who is responsible for Community languages in your school ?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tortuman, Feb 17, 2011.

  1. tortuman

    tortuman New commenter

    In my school it used to be the exams officer. It should really be the head of MFL as it kind of comes under his-her remit, but in my school it is I, EAL coordinator, who does it.
    This is what I do:
    Term 1-term 2 pass information to the tutors regarding what languages are available for examination. Tutors are in charge of gathering forms filled by the students and pass them to me.
    Term 2 Interview, get to know the students to make sure they can read and write the language and actually speak it, rather than saying hello and goodbye on the phone to their grannie abroad. Then decide who can and can´t take the qualification. Some students may opt for the oral-listenng bits only if they are not very literate in the language.
    Term 3 -4 organize sessions with language tutors who come into school to coach students in the tests. The level of support may depend on the level of the student. For instance, somebody who has just arrived in the UK will need help with the translations into English, while somebody born in the UK may need help with the writing part of it... tutors need to assess this as they are the ones who speak the language.
    March-April at the latest get tutors in to do the orals. I need to borrow recording equipment from MFL. So it is always a good idea to avoid the dates for the main MFL orals.
    Dates for other tests are fixed by boards. So the next step is getting a printout with dates from examining officer and sticking it on your door. The students get a print out from their tutor, but they tend to lose it. Especially if they are in Y9 or Y8 and they don´t have other GCSE tests.

    Finally, pay invoices from tutors.

    September, have your list of marks from exams officer ready. Give copies to tutors and keep one for yourself as students will normally lose their copy and come to ask you what their grade was.

    Get the copies left over from the last test. File them to have them ready to use for revision for the next lot of students.

    We don´t have that many students that want to take a community language exam, but other schools with more students in my area do have teachers on roll who deliver lessons for those languages.
  2. tortuman

    tortuman New commenter

    Sorry, Safari doesn´t seem to lime my returns so it's all come out as a big, long paragraph.
  3. Batsheep

    Batsheep New commenter

    Exams officer does it all in my school, but we don't have a huge number of them and there's virtually nothing going on this year as she rushed a load through last year before the controlled assessment kicked in and made it harder. She seems to swap students with a load of other schools so we do the Gujarati, Mandarin and Arabic for several schools but farm out other languages.
  4. The Exams Officer in my school.

    Am not quite sure why it should come under Head of MFL - Head of MFL should be co-ordinating the School's curriculum. If the students are not following it, for whatever reason, it's not their job to enter for exams.

    We have two students sitting Dutch this year. I am not going to a) find someone to do the speaking exam and b) trawl through OCR to look at the syllabus.

  5. Random175

    Random175 New commenter

    HOD and exams officer just like every other subject.

Share This Page