1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who is qualified/allowed to be a nursery teacher in a LA maintained school?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by royalstu11, Mar 11, 2016.

1. royalstu11

royalstu11 New commenter

I am about to take up my first headship in a Primary School. We have a large nursery section as part of our EYFS. Are there restrictions regarding who I can and cannot employ? Obviously, those with QTS via the usual routes are fine. But I am particularly interested in employment of staff with Early Years Teacher status. I have been told this is not enough for a maintained school. Can this really be true?

Many thanks in advance,

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Yes its true, you have to have a qualified school teacher as defined by the education act. Its all in the eyfs statutory guidance which I do suggest you have a look at if you are not too familiar with early years.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...1_September_2014__with_clarification_note.pdf

You could recruit a EYT on a temporary basis if you cannot find a QTS as an unqualified teacher, or instructor. This would be on the same basis that you might recruit any unqualified teacher.

3. royalstu11

royalstu11 New commenter

Many thanks. What a shame.

4. royalstu11

royalstu11 New commenter

One more question: is there any way for them to qualify appropriately whilst on the job?

5. grumbleweed

Hmm, I'm sure others will have better knowledge on that one would I'd imagine there are still SCITT courses or similar still available. I'd just bare in mind two things really:
    1. Someone who has done a degree then gone on to EYTS may well not want to do further training, as if they had wanted to teach in a school, they would probably have gone down that route in the first place,.
    2. If you employ someone who will be out of class a fair bit, this can be very disruptive for very young children, especially if the nursery is quite small. You'd need very strong and regular cover staff to ensure a strong key person system can still work.

Did you have someone in mind or are you just exploring an idea?

6. rochelle_lindie

rochelle_lindie New commenter

I don't get the same impression from the document Grumbleweed posted. From this Eyts and eyps can hold the post. Not an expert but if you get anymore info pls share

7. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Last week the NSPCC (?) were recommending that EYFS teachers have QTS in order to better develop young children's language skills.

8. grumbleweed

3.37 of the state framework linked to above..sorry can't cut and paste.

Having said that once your school becomes an academy you can employ unqualified teachers anyway.

It was the save the children report that recommends a qualified EYT (not necessarily QTS) for every nursery.

9. Looseseal

Looseseal New commenter

There are also lots of teachers who have a PGCE QTS in Early Years (nursery to year 2). So they will have chosen to specialize in teaching Foundation Stage, if that is what you are looking for.

10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Spot on. I took on a EYT for a term until I filled the post with a qualified teacher.

11. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Employ a qualified teacher with a degree in early years education if you want a quality learning experience for the children and someone who is flexible enough to move year groups in the future if needed. If you employ someone with less than QTS you are devaluing the profession.

jomaimai likes this.