1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who is better paid per hour?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Happygopolitely, Apr 12, 2019.

?

Who is better paid per hr?

1. 1 cleaner

2. 2 shelf stacker

3. 3 bar tender

4. 4 taxi driver

5. 5 nurse

6. 6 police

7. 7 electrician

8. 8 plumber

9. 9 state teacher

10. 10 Ofsted Inspector

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Who in your opinion is better paid per hour (including the average overtime pay) ?

1 Cleaner
    2 Shelf Stacker
    3 Bar tender
    4 Taxi Driver
    5 Nurse
    6 Police person
    7 Electrician
    8 Plumber
    9 State Teacher
    10 Ofsted Inspector

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Better to look up average pay rather than ask people to make a guess. Particularly as some of those people are often not paid by the hour. Add to that many are self employed and have to finance their cost of employment.

sbkrobson and Happygopolitely like this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Far too difficult. ‘Better’ is too subjective and too personal - one could measure any number of things such as money against physical or mental effort, trained expertise, usefulness to society, hours worked, work/life balance, stress, contentedness etc etc

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If people strike for better pay, it usually means "more money"

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

And also a bit pointless. Teachers are paid a salary and, on paper,their working week is seemingly fairly short (in Scotland a full time teacher's week is officially 35 hours and no more). However,we all know that teachers are working a huge amount of unpaid/invisible overtime. I'm pretty sure that a reputable cleaner in a wealthy area will probably get paid much more per hour and will get paid for every hour the job requires as opposite to take half of that work home with her. Extra hours that might occur for a reason or another might even be paid double or triple.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Cleaner better paid than teacher? You need to show your workings.

sbkrobson likes this.
  7. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Last month I conducted a funeral service which worked out as less than minimum wage. I wasn't happy.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't get your question at all.
    "Better paid" can only apply to a choice of two.
    Do you mean "paid the most"?

Happygopolitely likes this.
  9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm self employed and my work involves stripping out buildings, plaster off walls, skirting boards, door surrounds and doors removed, kitchens taken apart, ceilings taken down etc.

I also build back up: basic brickwork, plastering, basic electrics (checked by an electrician), basic plumbing and simple woodwork.

I also do a lot of cleaning: hoovering, polishing, washing down, making beds, cleaning bathrooms etc.

I also do a lot of gardening: landscaping and maintenance, mowing, hedge trimming etc.

I charge £15.00 per hour and I haven't put my rates up in four years.

I've just submitted my accounts to HMRC.

I work a forty hour week Monday - Friday. I get to work for 8 a.m. have a cup of tea and a ciggie. I then work until 10 a.m. and have another cup of tea and a ciggie which takes about ten minutes. I do the same at 1 p.m. and then work through to 4 p.m. and go home. I eat on the hoof. I don't stop for longer than ten minutes twice a day.

Here are my figures for last year. I should bring in £600.00 a week gross and then deduct expenses and then tax and insurance. Sometimes I get worn out and have to take a couple of days off so my annual/monthly/weekly net income differs from year to year.

I take as little holiday as possible and fit it around bank holidays, my birthday and when the car needs MOTing.

The figures for the tax year 2018-2019.

Total income: £25,725.00 (been a bit lazy last year).
    Total expenses: £8,196.00 (including vehicle at 80%)
    Gross income: £17,529.00
    Tax and Nat Ins: £1,955.25

Net income: £15,573.75. (£299.49 a week)

From which I pay £8,400.00 in rent. (173.00 a week)

So I'm struggling along but I wouldn't want to have any job where I have to work with people.

What I really want is to get back on the dole.

I'm happiest when I'm on the dole.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

So, what is the answer? Who is paid the most?

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Your turn this week for Grammar Police, SBK. Who's turn next week?

Happygopolitely and sbkrobson like this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. Has the OP got an answer or is this thread designed for posters to argue with each other?

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Not grammar policing,I honestly do not understand the question.
    Grammar police point out what they cannot stand, whereas I just want to know what the question is...as I said in my post.
    However it seems OP has simply liked my question, rather than given an answer.
    Hmm.

Happygopolitely and TCSC47 like this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

OK, I'll do that one for you.
    Cleaner-hours worked per week-forty five
    Teacher-hours worked per week-seven million nine hundred thousand three hundred and seven.
    Salary/wage for either?
    Irrelevant.

celago22 and Happygopolitely like this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well, I've liked it too then. Don't want to be left out.

Happygopolitely and sbkrobson like this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Er....thank you?
    Obviously I have not been using "likes" in the right way.
    Clearly they are not used to show you like something, rather they are used as a replacement response or a token of civility or some sort of encouragement.
    So what I have done is I have liked every post in this thread in a bid to get my question answered.
    The actual asking of it is clearly not enough.
    OP...?

TCSC47 and Happygopolitely like this.
  17. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Isn't a subquestion being asked which begins with: 'Who in your opinion..'?

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Difficult to answer really as things like level of employer/employee pension contributions, potential bonuses, overtime opportunities, level of seniority. etc. would have to be included for it to be a fair comparison. So you may get a newly appointed Ofsted inspector who earns less net per hour than a UPS3 teacher. A self employed plumber who allocates themselves a lower net income in order to invest & expand their business or pay into a private pension. Very difficult to compare like to like.

19. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@Jude Fawley You must live in the Hinterlands, a friend of mine just outside of London was quoted £300 just to demolish a shed:eek:. She bought an axe and did it herself over two days.

TCSC47 and Happygopolitely like this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My Paramedic mate down in the South East gets £12 per hour.

Happygopolitely likes this.