1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who is allowed in your staffroom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by BrainJim, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Is it open house or is it restricted to actual members of staff?

2. Is it open house or is it restricted to actual members of staff?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Open house except for lunchtime when it's staff only because of limited space/chairs

4. before becoming a teacher I was a TA and worked in a school where TAs were not welcome in the staff room. Nobody told me and on the first lunchtime when I sat down making sure I did the "Is this anyones chair?" they looked at me like I had two heads. Quite good tho because by the time I left one year later other TAs began to regularly venture in there. One teacher wrote in my card "You have been a breath of fresh air"

5. The school I worked in was at least - the staff room was open

6. The staff room is for school staff only for confidentiality reasons.
    Who goes into the staffroom if it is 'open house'?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Any visiting "professionals"(social workers - nurse - EP - SaLT - LSS -CAMHS) governors, PTA, students ....

8. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Only school staff. Not parent helpers or NVQ students etc. in case the students are related to or neighbours of children at the school. Teaching students? They never seem to have time to come in so it's never been an issue!

9. Open house - That is why we've been told not to talk about children or anything else "sensitive" (like what a **** morning you've had or how badly a class behaved) in the staff room ....!

10. What is the point of a staff room if you can't do this?

11. Exactly our response jamezium. We have to let off steam somewhere. You can't even chat to a teaching assistant about how to manage a child or group.
    We are not happy bunnies!

12. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Gosh I can't believe there are restirctions who go in the staff room. Particularly find it strange that TA's can' t go in. Surely this leads to a big divide in staff. In out school all are welcome in the staff room as all staff are treated as equal!

13. in the staffroom at my last school
    the lazy deputy and her back satbbing cronies
    the lazy gossipping Ta's brown nosing
    the caretaker
    the ict technician ( despite nothing working)

not in the staffroom at my las t school
    the teachers ( working or duty))
    the good Ta's
    midday supervisors

hiding
    the head
    the SENCO

in the stafroom at my new school
    EVERYONE LAUGHING & SMILING

14. In some schools I have been in TAs aren't in the staffroom just due to the fact that there is absolutely no room for everybody to fit in!

15. I wish parent helpers weren't allowed in our staffroom. You can never have a rest then because you're sat next to the parent of a child in your class. Oh, while you're there can I just ask you about ... reading levels? Drives me barmy! Want to have some lunch without working through it!

16. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

but only because they don't feel comfortable in a small room, right? Surely they weren't actually told they couldn't go in?

Our staff room is open to anyone working in the school (students included). Some teachers don't go in because they are busy or enjoy a little quiet time (who can blame them) in their classroom.
    I have my chair at the end of the room. People know it's my chair and they move when I come in. I run a tight ship.

17. No, because the HT told them they weren't to use it.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

TAs and LSAs not allowed in the staffroom? What madness is that? I can't believe staffrooms exist which don't allow TAs.

19. All adults working in school are allowed in our staff room - teachers, TAs, students, MDA, Visiting professionals, people running workshops for children - everyone. Children however are strictly barred!
    When i was preparing to return to teaching after a longish break to have my family, i volunteered to work in a primary school in town. At break time i went to the staff room for my coffee and noticed a very frosty atmosphere before being told that i should not be there but i should instead go to the parent's room. I pointed out that a) i was not a parent and b) there were no parents in that day so i would be there all on my own. this didn't matter - so i finished at lunchtime - there is no way i was going to be treated that way.
    I would hate to work in a school that didn't welcome everyone.

20. Personally I don't think that absolutely everyone should be welcomed into the staffroom. We have lots of very confidential information on the walls in our staffroom and staff want to be able to go into the staffroom and let off steam about things or talk about any issues that may have arisen.