1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who in their right mind would pay forty quid for a cinema ticket?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The Odeon Leicester Square imagines there's enough punters who might, but you know what? It's going to cost you eighty quid for a bit of slap and tickle in the back row, without all the add-ons like ice cream, cocktails and popcorn. There's only one back row you know, and you can bet your life that at forty quid a ticket, they will fill up as fast as you can say "Jack Robinson" or even "Jack Russell dog's? Not on your bleedin' Nellie"

Or will they? They are about to screen the sound of muzak. I ask yer...

There's dark corners in pubs you can do this, if you can put your sodding phones down for five minutes:

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

In my day they shone torches on couples behaving immorally.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Max Clifford called it that and he got 8 years.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Oh come on. There's a heap of difference between the snogging (and sometimes a bit more) that teenagers traditionally did in the back row and what coercive abusers get convicted of.

Whoops - ended with a preposition..

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Forty quid???

6. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

A bargain....compared to £160.00 minimum for a Rod Stewart ticket at Milton Keynes

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's £5 a seat (for most films/showings) at two cinemas I know locally, and even less at a third a bit further away...

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You would have to pay ME £160 miminum to hear Rod Stewart ( ditto Take That / Cliff Richard - also touring ) ;)

emerald52 and mothorchid like this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I wouldn't pay £160 but I'd like to see Rod Stewart as long as he didn't do Sailing or any of the carp that came after that. His early stuff takes me straight back to my teens and some of the boys I knew cutting their own hair to look like his.

10. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

A wonder if any of the mature people on this forum went to this gig with Rod Stewart supporting at St Helen's College? Is 7/6 about 40p?

[​IMG]

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not me, I was only 11 then. :p

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

37.5p

13. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Depending on how you measure it, that's between £6 and £19 today - so still good value!!

14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Nowt wrong with that. I think it's called a prepositional verb.

15. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Our local cinema is an Everyman - I love going as there is a nice bar area and the seating is really plush armchairs or sofas with cushions. So comfy.....

They bring food to your seat and there are little wooden side tables. I like the houmous and flatbread. Also the lemony lemonade.

They do bottles of wine which are priced from £22 to £42 a bottle - not fussed about wine but would not pay that much anyway.

It costs us about £31 pounds for 2 for the film tickets.

Seems to be really popular as most weekends the films are booked up unless you book well in advance. We went to see Fantastic Beasts 2 a couple of weekends ago after enjoying the first one and it was packed full.

We occasionally go to CineWorld or Vue but last time we went to the Odeon it was a real fleapit...horrible and grimy. In fact, the last two Odeons we have been to have been really grotty.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You can probably get the DVD for a fiver, watch in the comfort of your own home in your pants, burping and farting, and even pause when you go for a pee. And if you fall asleep, just do it all over again, and still have a copy. I'm surprised anyone ever goes to the cinema.

Dunteachin likes this.
  17. Photo51

Cinema-goers must must be very relieved that you watch your films at home.

18. Ivartheboneless

Haven't you any work to do? You'll never get the grades if you spend all your time on here.

Dunteachin likes this.
  19. Photo51

Dunteachin likes this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Nice to see you back again under yet another poster name. I am only assuming as your profile says you are a student and I used to be a teacher, that as such (student) you really shouldn't be on here when work needs to be done. I know you students work really hard so It was only a bit of mild advice. Of course if you aren't a student and really can dawdle on here all day good luck to you. By the way, it wasn't rude, but you kept calling me that under your previous persona. Being rude would be name calling or something like that, and I would never do that under the terms and conditions.