1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who here uses a blog to teach?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by amchugh, Jun 30, 2016.

1. amchugh

amchugh New commenter

I'm experimenting with using a blog to encourage independent learning with my KS5 students. I post an article each week. As a homework task, the students have to comment on the article with their own view. They also have the opportunity to comment on each others' views. The depth of argument that develops is excellent.

If anyone else here has used a blog to help teach, I would love to hear how you use it, how effective it has been, etc.

Also, before anybody starts worrying about the abuse of online media, the blog is monitored, comments must be approved by me before they appear and there is no feature allowing any secretive messaging, etc.

2. fairypenny

fairypenny Occasional commenter

Not used a blog, but we had Google classroom in a previous school. It worked a bit like a sort of facebook page for a set group of students; I could post, and then pupils could comment. They could also post to ask questions. I used one for each of my classes, and used to set homework through it. Found that it was useful as they could ask me thing before the next lesson.

I think it would work really well with a KS5 class.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Interesting idea, I've contemplated it from time to time. However it's not really appropriate for most of the work I do at the moment.