1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

. Who here is a head of maths or English and has a form too?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Littlesaltee, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Littlesaltee

Littlesaltee New commenter

Hi all. just a bit of research... Who here is a head of maths and has a form too? Who does not have a form?

2. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I am currently HoD, English and Media and I have a form of sixth formers.

The only HoD who do not have a form is the Director of Creative Arts, HoD Humanities, HoD Computing and HoD Natural Sciences.

You apply to become a form tutor if it's Year 7. If you have Year 11, then you either get the option to apply to become either Y12 or Y13 form tutor or go back to Y7.

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Me.

HOD (English) and I have a year 11 form. We all have them at our school part from SLT.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

All teachers in my school are expected to be Tutors. Part-timers share a tutor group. The only exception is the HT.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

All full time staff at my school (except HoYs and SMT) have a tutor group. A number of part timers also share a tutor group. Both HoD English and Maths have tutor groups

6. I'm Head of Maths and do not have a tutor group. Given the fact I've had to settle in 3 supply teachers since September (when I started) I think I've needed the extra time, particularly at the start of each day.

7. I'm a recent HoD and have been told that as the leader of a core subject I will not be expected to have a form. Hope that helps.

8. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

I'm an Assistant Headteacher and I currently have a year 11 form!

9. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

I am HoD for maths and I have a form. It is tough but I am paid well.

10. Cat0115

Cat0115 New commenter

I am a HOD in a largeish school. We all have forms except HOY AHOY and SLT. I think, if being a form tutor is SO important then why are the most 'important' people in the school not doing it. Form tutoring is the first admin job that everyone rushes to shed when they move up ..

11. grahamwales

grahamwales New commenter

I am Head of Maths. In Year 11 our form groups are reorganised so that I have a Maths Target group as my form class. I deliver maths "boot camp" during registration.

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

The only people exempt from being an FT in my school are pastoral management, SLT, and the odd lucky part timer.