1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who has responsibility for the cleanliness of the foundation satge outdoor area in your school?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by peatles, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Just as the title suggests.

Is this written into your job description if it is you?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The caretaker

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

No never has been, but wherever I have worked, it has been generally accepted that all FS staff take part in basic classroom tidiness and keeping the area clean and attractive- this includes things like washing down surfaces, cupboards, sinks, table tops, sweeping up etc. after activities. It also includes straining sand regularly and washing water play toys at home in hot water so that they don't get that sliminess they sometimes get. Another regular job is washing painting aprons and any large sheets used for activities or for children to sit on at snack time etc.etc. -not in any job description but just seen as part of a class teacher's responsibility to provide and maintain an attractive working environment for the children- that may be in your job description?

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

sorry- outdoor area didn't come up originally! Class teacher responsible for tidiness and putting things away in outdoor area, caretaker responsible for cleanliness unless a particularly messy activity- e.g. painting with washing up bottles etc. in which case class teacher expected to make an effort to hose area down asap after activity ended.

5. Thanks for the replies.

6. Yes we seem to be responsible for it all...but noone gave me the extra 2 hours a week (at least!!) that it takes to keep it all looking good!!

7. Caretaker does brushing checks for sharps etc - risk assesses climbing frames....we put away messy activities.

8. This is my biggest annoyance at my school.
    General tidiness I think is down to the teacher and I do like a tidy classroom but cleanliness is another matter.
    Out caretaker has got to be the worst in history. I get stressed out every Monday morning when I go back to school as my room is always disgusting. He is supposed to wipe tables daily but I am lucky if they get done once a week. My carpet in my role play area is often not hoovered and the floor is always still covered in **** even though it is 'supposedly' mopped and buffed regularly.
    His idea of sweeping the hard floor is to get the attchment from the hoover and suck any large bits up so obviously it doesnt get everything up. Sides are never wiped down and my toilets are revolting - I barely go in there unless I have to. The other day a child had an accident and a TA wiped it up with wipes and they were black from all of the filth.
    I have told my HT numerous times (and shown him evidence) yet he just says 'Il have a word' It improves for a couple of days then goes back to normal.
    What annoys me is that he must have been on the Ht office a good 7/8 times recently. If it was one of the teachers/ta's not doing their jobs properly I ma sure we would get more than just 'a word'!!! Rant over Ggrrrr!

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

My caretaker used to say to pretty much everyhting 'not my job' and so every day we used to sweep the oudoor area from leaves, cans thrown over and other debris. Yes it was a pain, but it wouldnt have got done otherwise. And ys we always did the other stuff too, inclduing cleaning the toilets during the day (cleaners did do them at the end of the day), wiping tables, sweeping floors etc.
    One of the reasons I get miffed when people say 'teachers dont have to do xxxx'
    Yep you often do if you work in nursery