1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Who has permanently excluded?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by oogiemac, Dec 5, 2018.

1. oogiemac

oogiemac New commenter

Hi,

Quick question to Heads...have you ever had to permanently excluded? If so, what was the reason? Any shared stories would be much appreciated.

2. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Morning oogiemac- only once in 7 years.A child who repeatedly made physical and sexual threats to other children , and even knocked one of his peers out cold...that was on the back of him having at least 4 fixed term exclusions prior to that...we'd done everything possible to support him first but his position on the class with other children and their parents became just untenable...

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

On several occasions, all for disciplinary reasons. It is unlawful to exclude for reasons other than discipline.

However, details - any details - should remain confidential, so don't expect details from any head teacher worth his/her salt.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  4. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

FTE yes, PEX no.
    I have a collegiate who had PEXd after everything they had tried failed and there was still violence.
    Governors then overturned it...

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Same here and for the same reasons. The parents were quite supportive as it meant that the LA had to provide the additional support that the child clearly needed.

I was close to another one having tried everything. However the behaviour person who we were working with took the child, with the agreement of the parents, to a local PRU. Her behaviour changed immediately following her visit and there were no further problems.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

A very, very few times over lots of years. A last resort when everything else had failed. No, no details on here. Make sure you have evidence that all reasonable adjustments were made and consistently applied if the child has SEN, which they probably do.

7. Geekgirl78

Geekgirl78 New commenter

Jesmond12 as Head of a PRU I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea that PRU's are such terrifying and awful places that a visit to one would immediately 'scare' a child into behaving well. In my experience, most PRU's, especially at primary level, are very warm and inclusive places where very dedicated staff work hard with students who often have a wide range additional needs..., My colleagues and I do get rather fed up with the unrelenting poor press that we get.

8. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Are you not making assumptions about @Jesmond12 post? I can't see where it has been said that it was because the PRU they were taken to was terrifying and awful and scared the child into behaving. I stand corrected if I am wrong but cannot see anywhere that that has been said.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@Jesmond12 didn't use those words but what Jesmond did say is hard to interpret as being anything as a negative comment about PRUs., or at least about one particular PRU. I find it hard to interpret this as meaning PRUs are generally warm and inclusive places:

...the behaviour person who we were working with took the child, with the agreement of the parents, to a local PRU. Her behaviour changed immediately following her visit and there were no further problems.

10. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Perhaps she discovered that an arch-enemy was at the PRU.

11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I remember a number of students (secondary ) who were quite happy to misbehave because they wanted to be excluded so that they could go to the PRU, where they watched tv, played games and didn'tyt have any, "stupid ******** rules" etc.

A visit to the PRU would have disabused them of that idea. Perhaps that is what happened.

12. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Yes after a several serious incidents involving increasingly serious assaults on staff; part time timetable; provision of 1:1 then 2:1 support; a Pastoral Support Programme and engagement with a wide range of other agencies for support.

13. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

A 'unicycling hooligan' story ...

Late summer the year before last, 'Alfie' and 'Jack' knocked on my door.

11 year old Alfie was trying to impress by puffing away on a cigarette. 13 year old Jack told me he used to live nearby.

Alfie was due to start secondary special school. Jack was not going to school. He was keeping himself busy by repairing 'abandoned' bikes and selling them.

I brought out the unicycles and the lesson began. I overheard Jack telling Alfie that he used to hurl furniture at his teachers whilst in primary school. 'Great!', I thought to myself. 'He will have no problem learning to unicycle'.

This proved to be the case and Jack was soon unicycling the length of the street. Alfie did a lot of slithering along the pavement in his struggles to master unicycling. "I can't believe I can do this", Alfie uttered as he finally managed to complete short distances.

They came along a handful of times before disappearing.

I was introduced to the 'Northfield Arts Forum' last summer. A 3 course meal is part of this evening event once a month. The cook works for a special school and has his pupils preparing all the food beforehand.

It turned out that Jack had been reintegrated into the education system via his school. After a spell there he had returned to secondary school. I haven't seen him but I am sure as a 'unicycling hooligan' he is behaving himself in class.

Kevin