1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who has not got a job for September?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by paulinemarina, Jun 14, 2011.

1. I know I am not alone but but I feel VERY alone, very disillusioned and was shocked today when somebody said to me 'you will be lucky to ever secure another job in teaching' I am 52 have taught for just 12 years was a Hod and Hoy before the redundancy culture started. I work hard, support my colleagues, do not have time off and had a 'good' from OFSTED this year.
    How many teachers (old and new) have not got a job to go to in September? With practically no supply work what will you be doing?

2. I haven't got a job lined up for sept. I only qualified last summer and had a handful of interviews but none successful. I also am feeling pretty disillusioned as I believed the **** that uni fed us about how we would all walk into jobs being in such a shortage subject and all. I have had very little supply work - definitely not enough to live on and I am feeling thoroughly fed up.
    I have applied for a number of non-teaching jobs - pretty much everything I think I would be able to do from retail to office work. I will continue applying for teaching jobs but I can't cope with another year of sitting around waiting for the 'call' that never comes.
    I wish I could turn back time because I wouldn't have bothered with the PGCE I would have done something more worthwhile and considered the PGCE in the future when (if?) things were better.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

OP I was in the same boat as you but I have secured a post (permanent) for September. It wasn't easy and took countless applications/interviews/rejections, but I got there in the end.
    The situation is dire. One HoD in a school I've done supply in told me there was an instruction from SMT to ONLY appoint NQTs for all vacancies (unless TLR, in which case a couple of years experience was enough). Of course, we're all fed the line 'it's not about money it's about the right person for the job' but what they fail to say is the right person is the cheapest.
    Something needs to be done. I don't know what, but something to stop this mountain of experienced teachers being thrwon on the scrap heap.

4. Is it possible to throw a mountain on a heap?

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Depends on the size of one's mountain and the heap! [​IMG]

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've literally just got an interview despite trying since last year, but no post yet... Keep your fingers crossed for this weeks ads, I'm sure you'll get something. Seems hard for alot of people at the moment. x

7. I am just finishing my PGCE. It has taken me about 24 applications and was invited to 4 interviews after finally getting a job. Its so hard to get in to!! The system for recruiting teachers is awful and something needs to change. Myself and other PGCE students have found that if you are lucky enough to get interview even then there are internal candidates (PGCE, GTP or more experienced teachers) who already have the job and the school are interviewing because they have to. Good luck on your job hunt.

8. I'm a "mature" student, just completing my training. I am told I am an "excellent" teacher but that still doesn't say much when I've no job either. 28 applications, 1 interview. Maybe I'm naive but I don't want to take a job just for the sake of it! Life's too short to be in an unhappy job.
    I also agree the process needs to change - teaching needs to get real and look at how the private sector conduct the interviewing process, any other industry they would not get away with some of the strategies involved. To be honest I have already started looking at returning to the private sector - a chance I'll be recognised for what I can do!

9. "The situation is dire. One HoD in a school I've done supply in told me there was an instruction from SMT to ONLY appoint NQTs for all vacancies."
    Of course, if you could obtain hard evidence of this, and this could be a witness statement, you could sue this school for age-discrimination. I know the unions are pretty tied up with the pension issue at the moment but the way older staff are being purged from the profession an discriminated against at interview, ought to be tested in the courts. Does anybody know if any test cases are in the pipeline?

10. I would be interested to know more about this.

11. I can understand how you all feel...
    I'm just about to complete my NQT year and feel fortunate to have gotten the 1 year contract to do that!
    I'm 41, having taken voluntary redundancy from the private sector, again with the promise of plentiful work as I teach a shortage subject. Although I am cheap(!) I have yet to be shortlisted? My current head and deputy have checked my application/personal statement and think it's fab. In fact if it wasn't for cuts in the current school, the head would definitely be keeping me on... but instead he's having to use teachers from other departments to teach my subject... just to save money! Surely it's the kids that will suffer?
    It' so hard to keep positive... but positive we must stay!

12. Just a note on supply.
    I am not sure if it applys to your location and the current work available, but when I used to do supply I got sick of waiting for calls. I used to get up and get dressed in the morning then call then to tell them I was ready to go. I always got a call back within 10/15 mins.
    However, I was not qualified then - a lot of schools want to take on Cover Supervisiors for the 1 day cover certainly the case at my place...
    I do get worried about all this. I have a job for next year, but I am a fairly young NQT, how can they discriminate so much against age and experience...?!

13. this should have been posted on jobseekers or unemployed teachers.... there must be soooo many people who could answer this post! Good luck to all of us - I have another interview this Friday, and the sad truth is that I'm already completely stressed out about it. I'm losing my confidence after months of applying and not getting anywhere.

14. Gila... Congrats on the interview! I would be so happy to have got that far. Just a deafening silence for me so far!

15. Take heart - there are schools out there who just want the right person for the job. I've observed a recent appointment in my department and been impressed by what I've seen. They took me on and I'm on UPS2.

16. Qualified last April, applied to over 6o jobs had no luck so far. Supply is also rubbish at the moment getting very fed up. I feel like I have wasted most of my life working towards teaching, teacher training, debt... running out of money now. I am very close from giving up, can only be so 'determined' or 'positive'. [​IMG]

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've got the last few weeks of a maternity cover lined up for September so I'm grateful for that, given that Supply work is usually non-existent in September. I'll be 52 by then so I'm not holding my breath waiting to be permanently employed again in state education. Just going to keep plugging away at Supply until it all gets too silly.

18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No job for me next Sept either.
    LA is into re-organisation & I'm led to believe that supply cover will be 'internal cover' only, using HLTAs & Cover Supervisors.
    So guess what I'm going to start applying for next year. It's still better pay than my average 3-4 K a year at present. May still turn round & say I'm over-qualified though!

19. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I know I'll have an interview at the school I'm doing a term's worth of work for this term - but I think the other temporary teacher they have will get it.[​IMG] Pity applications take to blooming long to do...

20. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Are all NQTs the same age?
    If a school only has funding for an NQT, what do you expect them to do?