1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who has more rights me or a new family.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nokomis21, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I work in a nursery and really enjoy my job, I have been there over 5yrs now. But a family member who has caused alot of trouble for me in my private life now wants to put her child in my class. Unfortunately the trouble has been going on for along time and I have lost the abusive texts off my phone from her. Do I have any rights, I feel physically sick at the thought of seeing the child and parents every day. Is it up to the owner, can they say no or can Ofted insist on the place being made available. I have told the head I will leave, but need to know if this is likely to happen as I need to have a job.

2. I work in a nursery and really enjoy my job, I have been there over 5yrs now. But a family member who has caused alot of trouble for me in my private life now wants to put her child in my class. Unfortunately the trouble has been going on for along time and I have lost the abusive texts off my phone from her. Do I have any rights, I feel physically sick at the thought of seeing the child and parents every day. Is it up to the owner, can they say no or can Ofted insist on the place being made available. I have told the head I will leave, but need to know if this is likely to happen as I need to have a job.

3. I don't know the answer to this one.
    Perhaps telling the head you will leave is a bit knee jerk unprofessional reaction and if I were a head I would feel a bit blackmailed over this. I do think it was a good idea to express your personal concerns however.
    I would go back to HT and with a more rational head on see if you can find a way through this. Is there a parallel ckass perhaps ?
    In this recession with unemployed staff there would be a lot of applicants, possibly cheaper applicants, for your job I would imagine.
    It seems strange that your family member would put child in your class if she still has a feud with you. Are you the only adult in the class ?

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

If there is a troubled relationship already in the background, then working in partnership with the child and family is going to be difficult.
    Does the family member sercretly and subconsciously want to be reconciled with you - or does he/she want to rock the boat and get more aggro going?
    You need to have an open discussion with your manager about what could be achieved from admitting this child to nursery in the circumstances.
    Are there other nurseries in the area?
    Your manager might diplomatically realise that they are full just now and not be able to offer a place. That might be the kindest thing for the child, the family and for you.
    you see, it's not a neighbour or a friend, it's a member of your family and there is too much baggage.