1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who has authority to close school in adverse weather conditions (snow!)

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by winmar, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I am acting head due to boss' long term sick leave. Along with other local primaries, I decided to close school at 13.00 on Friday. The Chair of Govs told me off! Said I must never do that again without his permission!

What is the procedure?

ta

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You are responsible for day to day running of the school including health and safety- however you should consult with the chair of governors if you need to close.

3. Many thanks! I am just hoping for good weather!

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

You make the decision it is however good manners and relations to inform your CoG of your decision.
    It is a hard decision re weather. Remember that you won't please everyone if you open or if you close. Good luck.

5. 7even

7even New commenter

To close or not to close - that is... one of the hardest decisions.
    The LA put pressure on us to stay open and the emergency services say don't travel unless you have to. There's so many factors to take into account and so many things to deal with if you do decide to close.
    Letting my CoG know, isn't going to be on the top of my priority list of things to do.[​IMG]

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I have a good relationship with our C of G, she respects the decisions I make re snow closures. I just add add her into the texts I send to parents announcing our closure.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I always let the chair know, but couched it as if I were consulting!

My favourite response to a snow closure was one year when some officer from the LA rang me at home and told me I should have kept school open. I explained that not enough staff could get in, whereupon she said I could have kept the kids (1200 of them, by the way) in the hall and gym and 'supervised' them). I asked her "How many kids per staff member would you say was too many and I should close? 40? 50? 100?" and she replied "Oh, I can't say - it's your decision." "EXACTLY!" I replied. "And I made MY decision!"

8. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

The guidance from our LA says it is the CoG that makes the final decision on closure, guided by the HT. I know Govs delegate the day to day running of the school to HTs but I still thought they had to be the one to agree/decide school closes. I am at school today, unable to get in, although school is still open so I can't check the actual wording of the guidance.
    Maybe that's the difference between experienced Heads, you do what you know works well, us newbies still check the paper work! [​IMG]

9. Middlemarch

Yeah...they're wrong.

10. Sadly not unusual :)

11. Middlemarch

Please - cheer us all up with some idea of what they're moaning about in the case of a school NOT closing!

12. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Facebook - I love it!!

13. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I noticed a parent complaining on Facebook because their child's school had announced on Thursday that they would be shut on Friday - along the lines of "how dare they decide to close when they can't be 100% sure that there will be enough snow to cause problems". Same parent this week complaining that the school was NOT closing with the new snow "cos its a nightmare pushing the buggy"

As they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time