1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who has a diesel VW?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Listening to the story of the emissions scandal in yesterday's news, mention was made that it is likely to significantly affect the resale value of the affected cars. Would you ever buy another VW if this turns out to be the case?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ooops.

Well.

It's a great car so I probably would. As long as the emissions aren't far wide of the mark. BUT BUT BUT I suspect all the manufacturers do the same. I'd like to see a proper investigation into all the manufacturers.

The quoted figures for my Nissan Juke were way off as regards mpg. I am looking at my Golf's mpg now though and wondering if the bloody thing is telling me porkies. I mean - nearly 60mpg from an automatic? Doing mostly pootling? Hmmmm.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  3. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

It's deception and fraud. On a massive scale. Diesel stinks. I buy Japanese anyway; they never break down.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Mr F has a diesel Golf and has run them for years. He says it's common knowledge in the industry that the emissions test is flawed. I think that his Golf is much less comfortable than my car and that people pay for the badge (still.).

I wouldn't have one, but I expect he will continue to pay over the odds for the brand. I look for better value for money. I think that VW will have to work to regain their reputation though.

I'll stick with mine for now, having had cars previously that traded on the name- Audi and Mini in particular.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have been very anti swapping to an automatic car and have argued till I am blue in the face with Mr REMfan that the fuel economy for an automatic is non-existent! I hate not getting a good mpg result and have diesel cars mostly over the past 20 years + (It could all be academic as MrREMfan spectacularly failed his automatic car driving test yesterday - extreme lack of judgement causing the examiner to brake the car!!! )
    I have ordered an automatic car so maybe the other half could drive it..... academic now I suspect as having spoken with his instructor it could well be that the multi tasking aspect of driving a car might well be beyond him.....my friends all announce that I am never going to allow him to drive me anyway...... the driving test in the USA just must be a piece of p*ss is all I can say.
    As for the Volkswagen debacle..... I would imagine that all the other car manufacturers are hopping mad at the deception (+ maybe the fact that they didn't develop something similar but not getting caught!)

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My current car is my first automatic. Goodness knows why I didn't do it years ago!

7. grumpydogwoman

Well, they don't even have roundabouts in the US. Put that with a lack of stick-shift and whatcha got?

8. HelenREMfan

Ah but they "turn right on red" which does keep traffic flowing and I could quite see a case for using the equiv here

9. grumpydogwoman

*wants to go to US and hire a car right now*

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was quite disconcerted, whilst in Lincoln, New Hsmpshire, to be driven by a local, who appeared to be running red lights. Apparently, it was the turn right on red thingy. Totally floored me!

11. HelenREMfan

Yes but it works.... :)> It would kill the damn planners around here though who are only happy when replacing perfectly well functioning roundabouts and replacing them with highly irritating uneccessary traffic lights which hold you up at silly o'clock in the morning with no traffic for miles around !

12. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Would now be a good time to look for a good deal on VW and Skoda?

<posting in the hope of likes> :p

marlin and Duke of York like this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I would think that if VW were the only ones doing this then it would have been discovered sooner as their figures would have been massively different to all the other manufacturers and would have raised suspicions.

14. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

You'll be hard pressed to find a diesel car anywhere in the US.

15. Duke of York

I reckon if you can hold out till next August you'll pick up the best bargain you'll ever get in your life.

kittylion likes this.
  16. Duke of York

They claimed the edge so far as I've been able to glean from the Greens who chose them. We don't know what prompted the investigations yet.

17. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Why next August? Is it to do with the September registration? I was thinking of maybe this October/November - not that I am very astute about these things. :confused:

18. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Oh but they do - certainly do in San Francisco.

19. Duke of York

Yes. This story has yet to run its course, but it's an absolute disaster for VW. They will have a stock of cars right now they may find themselves legally unable to sell until they've been modified. Nobody wants to buy a car that is likely to be recalled anyway. The cost of the fines VW is going to face on top of the cost of the work needed to recall the cars and fit what's needed to make the cars properly comply runs into billions of £s.

Trust in the company couldn't possibly be worse, so the sales they anticipated next year ain't going to happen. It's going to take them years to recover from this fiasco and the only way they can start to do that is by selling the existing stock to get whatever cash flow they can from it and find a rabbit somewhere in the hat to reboot their fortunes.

We might find over the coming weeks, VW car plants being mothballed and thousands of staff being laid off, all of which will be crippling their turnover. I don't pretend to be an expert in these things, but I'd bet a VW car you bought in October would be being flogged for a fraction of the price in January and by the time the next registration comes round, you'd get them cheaper than when Skodas were made by Skoda.

This will also affect the price of secondhand models, since who in their right mind will pay more for a used car than a new one?

From a pragmatic perspective, if you're not bothered about the issue of falsifying emissions and like VWs, you'll get fantastic value for money. Exactly the same car you'll have been drooling over for a while, but at a sensible price. You can be sure too that when they get desperate enough, they'll come with all the extras that the top of the range models get thrown in for nothing.

The only thing I need to digress from in the above, is a reflection once again, that management of large corporations is run by a bunch of complete jerks and criminals.

What's going on in VW at the moment is no different in principle from what happened with the banking crisis so far as the people its affects. You can be as sure as eggs is eggs that everyone in senior management knew this scandal was going on and was happily reaping in the rewards from it.

Who knows? Maybe the banks who financed VW will be baying for blood over the matter? I'm always up for a laugh.

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My husband has a diesel Golf. It is several years old already and resale value won't be an issue if he keeps it in the long term.