1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who got (or gets) the first call?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by dumpty, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

The situation may well change in September. We quite often have classes covered by SLT in the event of staff absences but have not been crossing bubbles at the moment. I was really only referring to this school year when school is not functioning normally. Ours would likely revert to being covered by SLT come September whereas other schools may take in supply staff because, as you say, shutting down classes due to staff absences is not sustainable in the long term . We have had no confirmed cases of Covid19 from staff or children to date. Although, there are a few members of staff who are convinced they had it before the first reported case in the UK!!

pepper5, gingerhobo48 and dumpty like this.
  2. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I'm ready to go back right now. I'll put my beer down, wash my face and get in there and get cracking.

I don't care about CV. I can't afford to. Everyone who does should go and hide under their settee.

I'm sorry to say this, but it appears that our contracted brothers and sisters and their union are royally taking the pss.

Just get on with it.

This is an old people and vulnerable people disease. It's not worth fking the economy for and it's most certainly not worth screwing up hundreds of thousands of children's educations over.

I am about education. I want to get back to work.

I suspect many of my (full paid) colleagues do not and covid 19 is a lovely excuse).

3. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

elvispenhaligon, I hold the same feelings, I think it will be September now, but I want to get back teaching and the thought of doing anything else terrifies me. I am looking forward to getting up at 5.30 and getting booted and suited ready for the call into a school.

PS, do not put the beer down, drink it first! :rolleyes:

gingerhobo48 and agathamorse like this.
  4. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

5. historygrump

I am awake by 6.30 everyday of the week and this includes Christmas Day, I can never understand why people keep in bed, when they could be up and about.

6. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

I guess it depends if you are a night owl or an early bird!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

All primary teachers are back at working time. Covering the split classes. I cannot speak for secondary. I also cannot speak for the diverse and wide ranging populous that are teachers. Of course some are lazy and some are brilliant. It is the same in every profession.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  8. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

:D:D:D

agathamorse likes this.
  9. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

I'm secondary and we've been working throughout: setting work online, marking work and exams, giving feedback and answering questions. It meant longer than normal working days as creating lessons that the pupils use to basically teach themselves is incredibly time consuming. Now we're back at school too, for years 10 and 12 and still providing online learning for years 7-9. It's exhausting and I will need my holiday.

Jolly_Roger15 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  10. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I'll tell you this much, if the government stopped sending funds to academies and (gag) councils, you'll see how quick these frightened sheep (or pathetic ones) march back for want of having a job and putting food on the table. And you know something else, it's the same people who are going to be whinging when the threats of redundancies come (and they most likely will) because they helped take part in an artificial crisis hyped up by the lefty media.

SineField likes this.
  11. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Any other pearls of wisdom?

12. steviepal

Got the call this morning. Do I win?
    (Couldn't do it though, got my kids and we're off swimming at Chatsworth).

13. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

You win! This is promising.....

14. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

It was a 'right-y government' who made this lockdown happen, though? They panicked because they're weak and have no principles and they are the ones who made this panic happen, 2m, dont go out, stay at home, work from home, 'we will furlough you all' - lame-duck hysterical government stopping everyone going to work. I am as disgusted as you with them.

john1207 likes this.
  15. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but over 1m people internationally are currently testing positive at any one time. And that is just those that were tested. It kills...and they didn't know who or how. You take as many risks with your life as you want. That is your right.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. historygrump

Steviepal, I am amazed that you got offered work, most secondary schools are just about operating, I was speaking to a HT I know and he as 40 students of key worker (in just 2 groups) in and around 50 year 10 students (who come in for just 2 hours) and even the agencies are saying it will be September, I have notice some agencies have indicated that secondary schools are looking for intervention tutors to work on the catch up programme.

pepper5 likes this.
  17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You do indeed - fame and fortune beckons!

I was just about to pencil how I applied for 15 positions during lockdown and not one , not one has got back to me - even if just to say when they will get back to me! (This is primary)

So great to hear someone is getting a call, even if it still appears you are in a serious (serious) minority.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. steviepal

It was most unexpected to get a call at 7.30. Woke me up it did!

Apparently someone called in sick at the last minute and the school was scrabbling around for someone. Not sure why though, they must have almost as many staff as kids at the moment.

Anyhow, went swimming in the River Derwent instead. Bloody lovely.