1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who got (or gets) the first call?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by dumpty, Jun 5, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

While always a bit optimistic of me to expect a call to work this week, maybe someone has or we can keep the thread alive until we all celebrate the first of us to get work!

We need hope so may it not take long before someone says ' I am....back!'

:D

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I don't expect - or want - a call this term!

peakster, wooly311, Miss2006 and 6 others like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

We have always been open to the children of key workers and the vulnerable. And have all been going in on a rota basis.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ah yes but I am thinking more of day to day workers, agency workers. Trying to gauge if there if any work at all out there for them...or when it comes through.

Do think it is unlikely there will be any this month but you never know.

5. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Usually the agencies favourites.

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I doubt whether there will be much supply work this term, and probably not until the late Autumn.

wooly311, gold19951, dumpty and 2 others like this.
  7. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

If there is guidance says long term as in a week so should be when someone goes down sick. However, anything remotely Covid like will send the entire bubble off. So it isn't straight forward at all. I am thinking no more work this year but some places where teachers returned to families to isolate may see gaps as they begin to open up.

dumpty and gingerhobo48 like this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well it now appears schools will not be re-opening until September for any other children than those there now - confirmation to be announced later today.

From a work point of view this does not bode well for supply teachers unless the government sets out a dictate (not the usual 'if you want to' line) that ensures schools re-open fully from Sep.

My worry is all the reasons we hear to keep schools closed now will be re-started again Sep 1, with serious delaying of allowing kids back.....not good for the kids in my view and of course a financial disaster for agency supply teachers.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  9. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

September is a long way off though, hopefully things will have moved on by then.

gingerhobo48, dumpty and pepper5 like this.
  10. historygrump

I must admit, i am a natural pessimist, thus may be the reason I have sported the Dale for so many decades, but I suspect that schools may need additional staff to deal with potential smaller class sizes, teachers who have decided enough is enough and this may impact on supply in a different manner. In that I can see instead of supply going into different schools on a daily basis, I see either a hub of local schools or individual schools operating a retainer system with a small group of supply staff, who cannot work in a wide range of schools, but are rewarded by the retainer scheme and so ensuring they receive a wage every week.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My understanding is that it takes 3 weeks to get you off furlough. I have been working throughout the lockdown and not been on furlough so I may get a first call as I am actually available.

12. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

That's interesting to read. Where did you hear that can I ask?:)

13. amelia765

amelia765 New commenter

I was offered work for tomorrow in a reception class with 5 children. Unfortunately it had gone by the time I called back. Not sure how comfortable I am about going in lots of different schools? I have a fixed term contract at one school and do supply the rest of the days.

dumpty and gingerhobo48 like this.
  14. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

I would be fine doing one one school a week but any more is just too much. It'd the limiting the amount of people you are in contact with for me.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

From my handler at the agency.

This week I am doing 2 days and next week 4 days up to the end of term. Do I win?

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  16. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I think that there are schools (like mine) who will shut the school/parts of the school if there are staff shortages rather than take in supply teachers I'm afraid. The children are naturally quite anxious for a start and need a known adult and also the fewer people moving in and out of the school setting the better. There are also lots of parts of the school day and movement around the school that is very closely controlled and so its a bit of a nightmare to those of us who are already familiar with the systems. Hopefully, that will change from September but who knows!

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  17. historygrump

I think that many schools have a number of regular teachers they know and who the kids know,, and in this I seem to have a set of fairly regular schools, so in respect to this, I feel that schools may use teachers they know and who know the school. I also do flying visits to schools where I have never been before or since, so these may ask for their regular supply first.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  18. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

That's good. I guess it's because my school only rarely uses supply so we have no regular teachers coming in. I hope everything picks up soon for you all.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  19. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

@Caramel2308 but is that not unsustainable in the long term, especially for working parents?
    Most parents can't just on the whim keep their child off because a part of the school has closed for the day due to staff shortages

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Had this confirmed by local school(s) here too.

Academy boss sent a letter to all parents saying they would not be taking year 6 back after all as so many teachers were off sick. Badly written letter (although maybe he was frustrated) as he made it clear it was not since opening they had become sick, it was 'staff not feeling safe to return and therefore sick' (whatever that means).

I did consider asking if they'd take supply teachers but little doubt the decision has been made not to, methinks.

gingerhobo48 and agathamorse like this.