1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who else is Peed off with not getting any supply because schools have employed 50% more cover supervisors?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Get on the 38 DEGREES campaigns website, vote, post a comment and read other comments about schools employing unqualified people as cover "teachers"!
    Totally unacceptable, hypocritical and appalling how this has happened with mandatory teacher registration and qualification in our state school.
    Check out:
    http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1424291-the-use-of-unqualified-staff-as-cover-teachers-i?ref=title

2. 416 votes, but 19th ranked.

everyone needs to vote!!!!

3. Just wanted to say I am very upset about this 'cover supervisor' lark. I have worked very hard to get my 2 degrees and PGCE. I had no funding and tooks years out to save up enough money to do these 3 degrees. I graduated in June 2010 and thought I could earn enough money to find my feet again. As it happens there are not many jobs and qualified teachers are pressured to take these posts or get nothing at all. I am now homeless and without a job. How ace to be treated like this after 5 years of dedicated teaching, extra-curricular activities I set up off my own back, in my own time, and after gaining a high enough level of education to be able to teach my kids (pupils) to the best of my ability!

4. I am getting depressed with the situation, too. As I have said so many times, I have decades of experience of teaching maths and science in London schools, I have signed with over 20 agencies but, since last May, I have had three days work.
    I am in my mid 50s, and until middle of last year, I lived on my savings. When these had dwindled to a low enough level, I had to sign on for JSA. Although I go through the motions of applying for jobs, to meet the requirements of JSA, realistically no employer would give me a second glance. My JSA consultant is quite sympathetic and 'clued-up', he has met several people like me in the same situation.
    On by one, all the things that I had accumulated over the years have fallen away. I am now back living with my very elderly mother, as this is the only way I can afford to live. I have put in for my pension, even though it will be an AR one. I did not want to do this, but I cannot see the job situation improving. However, routinely LEAs hold up approval of such applications for six months, so I will not be seeing any of that until the end of the year.

5. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Kiahans. You just some the situation up and I feel sorry for your position, it is national disgrace and I am, like most supply teachers struggling from week to week, and to be honest I am losing patience with the situation. How schools use a person without any teacher training and in many case academic background to teach children? When Michael Gove states the only people with a good degree, grade C or abvove on maths and English can be considered for teacher training, then we see schools use people without degrees or in some cases Gcse in maths and English to teach. I do not hear mr Goves saying this should stop, why not because it is about undermining the professional nature of teaching and money.

6. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

I've lost all my supply work this term in the one school in the area that made loud noises about the fact that 'they didn't use agencies...they used quality supply teachers they knew personally...etc'. They approached me offering me work 18 months ago - really keen to add me to their supply list after I'd been for interview there (and lost out to an NQT). I did loads of supply for them. Last term was almost full time, as with 20 years experience I would happily cover any subject, any class. They kept telling me how wonderful I was. First week of Jan they appointed 3 cover supervisors and informed me that they wouldn't be using supply any more.

7. From what I have experienced so far this term is that schools are looking after their pockets and finding cost effective decisions not the 'correct' choices in having supply teachers. Supply work for me here in West Midlands so far has been scarce and when there is work, schools are very nasty in picking up on minor issues that I may have done.
    1) Schools are being much more selective to get value for money
    2) Permanent Teachers are now not calling in sick as much because of the fear of losing their jobs and becoming unemployed
    3) Whatever supply work there is, it is usually with very very very demanding classes - those in which CS's would'nt have a clue, so have to use supply teachers
    4) Pupil's behaviour is repetitive and draining
    5) Schools are quick to make judgements about new staff
    6) Schools are not even acknowledging job applications, not a sniff
    For one days work I feel like I've done a whole week!!! Its just getting ridiculous, beginning of the end I feel for me and teaching. I don't know if I can continue with spilling my guts and getting peanuts for it. I'd rather be in any other job.