1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who else is Peed off with not getting any supply because schools have employed 50% more cover supervisors?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I'm with four agencies. They all have various stories: " we are updating the files and yours hasn't been done yet...........schools are asking for people they've had before.........it's very quiet at the moment...it will pick up after half term when swine flu kicks in.....they are using more cover teachers on site........would you consider going further afield....(yes)....we'll call you if anything comes up.......schools are asking for longer term cover at the moment.........."
    It's been comforting to know that I'm not the only one; I've done primary supply on and off for a few years and I was beginning to wonder if it was me!!!
    To be fair to the agencies, they must be worried about <u>their </u>future if this carries on.....the bigger picture could be even more worrying.
    I think other posts are right about nagging and protesting; what else can we do if the whole system is going down the pan?

2. The agencies just supply bodies to stick in front of classes. Now that the bodies don't need much in the way of qualifications and there are lots of unemployed people available and looking for work, their task is that much easier.
    To be fair, they have offered me first refusal on cover supervisor daily cover, but seem to have stopped since I declined it.

3. do not feel alone, according to my agency there are loads of supply teachers patiently waiting for wore you fully qualified. Which part of the country are u in as London does not appear to need supply- so where does that leave the minions?

4. I have been on supply for three years. This year worked three days only. CS will kill us off for sure if we dont organise and protest.Suggest meet up in London one weekend end to discuss what to do.

5. still nothing.

So I am giving up now. I might even burn my GTC and PGCE on youtube and post the link here.

The conspiraloon side of me wonders whether this is deliberate. Perhaps a stink regarding unqualified teachers is part of the strategy to make us hate Brown, now that we are being romanced into accepting David Cameron as the messiah?

As for perm teachers not caring. That isn't true. This strategy is unsettling them also. How coul;d it not, unless they are stupid, they will recognize that CS and TA will be the device by which future salary increases will be thwarted.

CS and TA undervalue and threaten the profession whether you are permanent or supply. Conversations and banter in the staffroom do not alter this unease.

6. cristounette

cristounette New commenter

The same here in London. I had one day work in September 2009 . I am a language teacher French.

What is there to do ? Think think think ... what can I do now ? not being young (50'ish) does not help.

First I went to get financial support (JSA) and Housing Benefit (not sure I will get it - I am still waiting)

I try to stay positive, but my bank account is so down , I do not know how I will manage to pay the bills ..in maybe 2 months time.
    I feel strangled , even my partner's business is barely covering his cost.. 2months life left as well if it carries on ..

Help !!

7. I've no supply since moving from Bristol to the North East at the beginning of September. I'm feeling so desperate, I applied for a part-time Christmas job at Boots- which I've already been rejected for! This is probably because the only retail experience I have is from the 90s. Anyway, applying for this Boots job has really fired me up and I've e-mailed Ed Balls, my local MP and the chief executives of the TDA and printed it off to send it to Gordon Brown (as there's a limit of 1000 characters to e-mail him), just to express my frustration and anger at not finding a job since qualifying in June 2008. I don't expect anything to come of it, but sometimes it feels good to vent. Even scarier, I worked out I only had the equivalent of 22 and a half days of supply between January and July!!!
    What an awful situation most of us are in...

8. Permanent staff feel strongly about these changes too.
    But what CAN be done? Following the appointment of a new HT & DHT (after retirement of previous postholders), THREE excellent teachers who taught PPA & covered teachers' absences on a supply basis have lost their jobs in my school to be replaced by support staff. As a school we were never short of money but this is the reason given for these changes. Things have changed very quickly.

9. If any of you can travel to Luton, Beds, there's loads of work going there. Contact the agencies in Luton like Keep. They have too much work and not enough supply some days.

10. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

How far is that out of central London.... I've only had a few days work myself

11. There are some tough schools in Luton though, be warned!

12. Have you got an example of an email etc? I'm not quite sure what to include for maximum impact.

13. There are lots of very tough schools, but if you're used to London, it won't be much different. Luton is junction 10 or 11 off the M1.

14. stupot101

I've been around a bit... 16 years... and also in West Ham/ Barking etc. So I am prepared for anything.... but thanks for the warning, it is nice to know.

15. stupot101

Anyone know any good lawyers, or studied Law? look at my thread.!!!

16. I would be also interested in meeting in London to discuss what to do. The more people we can get to meet the more organised we could become in terms of putting together an action plan.

17. Pugwash

Pugwash New commenter

Well I've now been binned and am applying for cover supervisor positions because it's now impossible to pass my induction. What a wast of a year and &pound;4000 on a student loan which won't be paid back as I won't earn enough as a CS.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Why will it be impossible to pass Induction?

19. Pugwash

Pugwash New commenter

wel - it won't be impossible; it's just that I have a year's standards to reach in only one term. My NQT advisor has said passing is very unlikely. I can negotiate a 4 day week if I get the job I'm thinking about applying for....But it'll be hard going and the school's an hour train/bike each way adding to the working day.
    I have to decide whether to apply for this job soon as the closing date is on Friday......I'm not sure and I have an interview for a CS post next Tuesday!

20. stupot101

Meet up in London .... I'm up for it.... can someone arrange it.. I don't have direct access to internet so would appreciate help..