1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who do you trust to read the news?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Now that Peter Donaldson is no longer with us, which newscaster would you trust to tell you it's the end of the world?

2. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

It's gotta be you I guess. Yep. Definitely you. We love a sexist with hard-headed no-nonsense opinion:=)

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd want Matt Berry from Toast of London... least I'd go out smiling.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Charlotte Green. I know she doesn't do the news anymore - but her voice is just lovely to listen to.

lizziescat and anotherauntsally like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just broadcast PD's tape.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

End of the world specifically:

Otherwise I couldn't care less who reads the news, I do prefer them sat behind a desk rather than perched awkwardly on a tall stool or wandering around gesturing to a giant screen.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

Radio 4!! Not TV!!!!

8. Mangleworzle

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

If someone's going to fill my ears with a lot of disinformation and half-lies it may as well sound pleasant. I want one of those mellow, plummy sounding chaps you hear in the old newsreels...
    [​IMG]

cissy3 likes this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

Er, I'm thinking not all of you would recognise Peter's voice! Don't worry. You only have to listen/watch for about a minute and a half!

cissy3 likes this.
  12. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Bob Danvers-Walker. Always upbeat.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I can't bear that woman's voice. She just sounds so fake.

14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Any of the chaps/chapesses who read the Shipping Forecast.

Diction is important to me, with my hearing, and I find so many newsreaders on tv have terrible diction. This is nowt to do with accents btw

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Coincidentally I've just been reading this in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc...wards-mocks-ITV-rival-for-losing-viewers.html

As much as I think that Huw Edwards is a generally smug individual with too high a regard for his own station in life, I do agree with his comments on the new look ITV News at Ten. I'm sure Tom Bradby is a very nice man, but I do not think they have got either the writing or the presentation right at ITV.

I had to laugh later on in the article, when Robert Peston was quoted as saying, with regard to his own idiosyncratic delivery:
    "I don't really care what people think about my style, except in so far as it gets in the way of people understanding the story. If I felt I was not communicating the important stuff in a way people can understand, I would worry."
    Then he really should start to worry: I can never follow a word he is saying because of the strange stress patterns in his speech.

grumpydogwoman and foxtail3 like this.
  16. Mangleworzle

17. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Won't the job go to Alan Dedicoat? He seems to be the voice of every other thing on the telly.

18. grumpydogwoman

Peston! OMG.

The pauses. I'm so glad he's leaving the BBC. I never watch ITV so I shall be safe.

RedQuilt likes this.