1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who do you think you are ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JO9832, Mar 8, 2011.

1. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    i am desperate for some ideas with a whole school topic we will be covering in the summer. I am in the Nursery. Basically an alien is going to be in school all week mainly working with Year 5 and 6 making a video about the school so we can discover who we are. This alien is going to be a real person in a costume . I am struggling how to go with it. I am of course going to do lots of work before hand on space and aliens so they wont be terrified ! Just struggling to think of ideas to help the children find out that its ok to be different its ok to be themselves and recognise the special talents they have. I have covered the SEAL topic 'Its good to be me' in the autumn term ,
    Any thought/ideas to get me started would be so helpful.

Jo

2. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    i am desperate for some ideas with a whole school topic we will be covering in the summer. I am in the Nursery. Basically an alien is going to be in school all week mainly working with Year 5 and 6 making a video about the school so we can discover who we are. This alien is going to be a real person in a costume . I am struggling how to go with it. I am of course going to do lots of work before hand on space and aliens so they wont be terrified ! Just struggling to think of ideas to help the children find out that its ok to be different its ok to be themselves and recognise the special talents they have. I have covered the SEAL topic 'Its good to be me' in the autumn term ,
    Any thought/ideas to get me started would be so helpful.

Jo

3. Apologies before hand - Google chrome so will be short on paragraphs! How about measurement - measuring everyone and discussing whether it matters that X is the shortest and Y is the tallest. Finger prints - look at how everyone has a unique fingerprint, maybe print and enlarge them and then develop fine motor skills by sticking string down over the swirl patterns, might make a good display? Thinking about religions - obviously I don't know how ethnically diverse your school is, but maybe looking at the different ways everyone celebrated their last birthday and what it meant to them. Talking about and sharing favourite objects, food, colours etc. Anything that is personal and will be different, making collections of these things etc. Look at video clips of children around the world attending school and the different ways they learn. Look at family groups and how they are different. Talent tree - each child writes (or has scribed!) what they think their talent is and what they'd like to grow up to be, written onto leaves and tied onto branches to create a tree (ok - have stolen this from my child's school!). Can't think of anything else now off the top of my head but if I do I'll come back!

4. Simply .. same and difference. Looks like, sounds like, feels like, smells like. We .. It ..