1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

who do you email?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missbloggs, Apr 9, 2007.

1. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

I teach ICT as a stand alone lesson, which is often a pain anyway, but now I've got to do the email unit, and I don't know who to get them to email. Or how to string it out for 5 lessons of 75 minutes! Help please, anyone? For instance, who do you send emails to, and how did you make contact with them? What activities do you do?

2. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

I teach ICT as a stand alone lesson, which is often a pain anyway, but now I've got to do the email unit, and I don't know who to get them to email. Or how to string it out for 5 lessons of 75 minutes! Help please, anyone? For instance, who do you send emails to, and how did you make contact with them? What activities do you do?

3. I created an address on yahoo because I was able to have more than one computer logged onto the same email account. I emailed each child from one of my many email addresses (a lesser used one!) and put their name in the subject so they knew which email to open. If you use copy and paste you can send each child the same email but just change the subject each time to include their name. So we didn't actually email anyone in a different place.

In terms of the different activities I got them to do: first of all open the email programme on the internet, type in the username and password, open an email addressed to them, read and reply (I put some general questions that they could answer, maybe a quiz linked to another topic), send an email by inserting an address both by typing or by using the address book (this is different to just replying to an email, send an attachment and experiment with changing the font size and colour of the text.

Hope this gives you a few ideas!
    Han

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Same year group (Y5) in another local school, doing the same topic. Working in groups of 3 (if 1 or even 2 are absent group in other school can still receive some communication, children send each other ideas for the topic, work/visits planned, samples of work, photos of visit, reports, CC to own teacher. Group e-mail accounts are accessible by class teacher.

5. We have secure domain Google-Mail accounts. They can e-mail each other.

We also have live chats (Moodle), and a Bulletin Board.

They love all these!

=:cool:[--{

6. At present the class just has two google mail accounts - one per year group. I think you can only open the account on one computer at a time. And I have just discovered that no-one seems to have correctly remembered the password... I can see this unit will be fun and games!!

7. I have a google mail account and it sure does help me in a lot of ways. Gotta try and see it for all of you guys how convenient it is!