1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who did you leave your older child/ren with?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Tangit, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Both of our families live hundreds of miles away and with DS (age 4) it was not an issue. Of course, this time round it is - who do we leave him with when I go into hospital? (NB still considering home birth too). I would prefer to get someone to come here to look after him as if I
    have to wake him up in the middle of the night to ferry him to someone's
    house he won't want to leave me and it'll make it more upsetting for us
    all.Although, there is the factor that maybe this time it would happen
    during the day - hopefully!
    I have many friends where we live but all have their own families to attend to, some without a partner.
    e.g. friend A - hubby in forces and on tour at the mo. I can't ask her to leave her own 4yr old on his own. Although she has said if it all happens during day or at weekend she'll take him. But what if I need her to pick him up from school? - her son's school finishes at the same time miles away and my son's school doesn't have an after-school club.
    friend B - young, free and single but she is also a teacher so even if I cal;led her in the night she could come across and sleep over but what do I do in the morning. I can't expect her to sashay in late to her own class (8.45 start) as she was taking my son to school (9.00 start +20 mins travel)
    I don't know any of his classmates' mums enough to ask them to take him.
    Also, did you have to prepare things? E.g. constantly keep school uniform, packed lunch& stuff ready for the next day. Make sure spare bedroom was sorted etc
    It's really starting to worry me - help!

2. Both of our families live hundreds of miles away and with DS (age 4) it was not an issue. Of course, this time round it is - who do we leave him with when I go into hospital? (NB still considering home birth too). I would prefer to get someone to come here to look after him as if I
    have to wake him up in the middle of the night to ferry him to someone's
    house he won't want to leave me and it'll make it more upsetting for us
    all.Although, there is the factor that maybe this time it would happen
    during the day - hopefully!
    I have many friends where we live but all have their own families to attend to, some without a partner.
    e.g. friend A - hubby in forces and on tour at the mo. I can't ask her to leave her own 4yr old on his own. Although she has said if it all happens during day or at weekend she'll take him. But what if I need her to pick him up from school? - her son's school finishes at the same time miles away and my son's school doesn't have an after-school club.
    friend B - young, free and single but she is also a teacher so even if I cal;led her in the night she could come across and sleep over but what do I do in the morning. I can't expect her to sashay in late to her own class (8.45 start) as she was taking my son to school (9.00 start +20 mins travel)
    I don't know any of his classmates' mums enough to ask them to take him.
    Also, did you have to prepare things? E.g. constantly keep school uniform, packed lunch& stuff ready for the next day. Make sure spare bedroom was sorted etc
    It's really starting to worry me - help!

3. Remember that you don't need to find one person to do everything... if you can find a local friend willing to have your son in the morning and take him to school (so friend B can drop him off on the way to her work), and either the same or a different mum willing to collect your son along with their own child and look after him until friend A is able to get there, you should be fine. Hopefully one or more of your son's friends mums might be willing to help out (since you are not asking for much more than an impromptu playdate).
    For the rest, I'd assume that if the potential overnight person knows where to find everything, then you don't need to worry too much.... (presumably it is easier to explain to them rather than keep everything constantly prepared)
    Hopefully once you have a plan, you'll be able to relax!
    Liz

4. I do have local family who should be in the area before the due date (they live between here and abroad usually). So I'm lucky, but was wondering what I'd do without that option.
    Does your son's school have a breakfast club? Probably not or you'd have mentioned it I guess. What about your teacher friend asking school about the possibility of a last minute cover for P1 in this eventuality? A local childminder could be someone to look at - see if someone who already does school runs for local children is around and could take an extra one before / after school on that occasion... then your LO could meet them in advance and know that they might spend a little time with them whilst mummy has the baby. Your teacher friend could then drop off LO at the childminder on way to work. And your other friend could pick up from CM after getting her own child from the other school?

5. Oh and a couple of my friends work shifts as nurses / midwives - they use the hospital nursery. Could you try seeing if your hospital has one and asking if they have any options / ideas?

6. RKM

RKM

Hey
    I packed a bag for our 2yr and kept it near my hospital bag!! My mum and dad live close by so she stayed with them.
    My waters broke at home earlys weds morning, but I didnt go in 2 hospital till the following morning. We rang my mum and she picked my daughter up.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I have 22 months between my 2, and I was worried about what would happen if i went into labour early. My husband's family live locally, so they'd have had to help, but they're not the most reliable! Also, my husband doesn't drive so we'd have needed someone to drive us to the hospital too.
    My parents live nearly 300 miles away, but luckily they're both retired now (in their late 50s) and they came to stay just before my due date. I ended up being induced at 12 days overdue, and my mum stayed the entire time and helped with my son, which was amazing. I was glad to be induced in a way as it meant I didn't have to be in labour with a 22 month old wondering what on earth was going on! I went into hospital in the evening and was home the following evening, and then my parents left the next day. So it all worked out really well in the end!