1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who creates teacher application forms?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by toby4, Aug 3, 2016.

1. toby4

toby4 New commenter

Hello,

I'm hunting around for my first teacher job and have noticed that the application forms vary greatly in length and format.
    Could anyone perhaps tell me why? I would of thought they would be generic across the board.

Thanks,

Toby

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

As far as I am aware it is the LEA, academy trust or sometimes the school itself. Obviously there are some things that need to be covered in any form, but there is a wide variety.

It is frustrating as the different layouts are time-consuming, especially for things like employment history and educational qualifications. Make sure that you save all forms as you will be able to copy and paste from one to another (it is also good practice so you can refer back to what you wrote when you get called to interview).

3. toby4

toby4 New commenter

Thanks Peter!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It is usually HR who are somewhere involved in the process which explains a lot.!There have been numerous attempts by DfE and others to create a universal standardised application form for teaching. These have all failed because,
    Schools want control over the questions and formats they use
    The use of the application post recruitment varies- where I work it forms an initial record which gets added to as the career progresses. Its format therefore reflects this.
    Where the documents are WORD based then you can already cut and paste in the information and in reality the information they ask for is not really that different.
    The other thing to realise that the application form is a central part of initial selection and the applicant approach creates various impressions both good and bad!

wanet likes this.