1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who can tell the best boring story (borey)?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Julius Caesar: I came, I saw, I conquered. (boring!)

2. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Or they don’t even give them names, or give names inconsistently.
    “So I was sitting there and you know the woman I told you about, the one with the hair? Well, she starts going on about her weekend and the other one, you know the one I don’t like, she’s just looking at her like ***, and then that guy I met at that party 2 years ago walks in and Gertrude says...

What woman with the hair? Which one you don’t like? What guy? Who the f is Gertrude in this scenario- hair woman? Not-liked woman? Another woman entirely?

knitone, sodalime and emerald52 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was listening to a "conversation" between two girls on a train last weekend (didn't have much choice as they were talking so loud).

It was so dull I can't remember anything of what they were talking about.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I felt like that when I attempted to watch Love Island. I managed less than 15 minutes.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most of it was about mascara and eye shadow - for 40 minutes !

6. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Even worse is listening to a rambling, confused inconsequential account like the one above when the same person has just told you they have some really exciting news about a really critical matter and it takes them 20 minutes of recounting utterly unrelated trivia to get to the point. Does my head in.

Yep, when all the characters in the story are referred to by 'they' and 'them'. At least the 'woman with the hair' narrows it down a bit.

7. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Someone i know can not finish a sentence and instead uses mime and unintelligible noises. They also give long rambling chaotic accounts of utter trivia. Instead of actually finishing a sentence with words that communicate meaning, they make a hand gesture and say 'huh', leaving the listener playing a mind-reading, guessing game as to what they could be trying to say. When they are talking to me I have to take deep, slow breaths and go to the 'special place' in my head.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Now that does actually sound really interesting.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Trust me - it wasn't.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to work with someone like this, it was particularly bad when you asked about what was happening with some ongoing matter. She was unable to just give an update, what I wanted to know was a precis of chapter 11 of the story, what I'd get was the preface and prologue, contents page, author notes and then all of chapters 1 to 10 first.

sodalime likes this.
  11. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

That's it in a nutshell, mangle. And a few days later when you need a new update on the fast moving situation, you get all 10 chapters again.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had to put up with two years with someone like this . Every lunchtime in our department staff room she would drone on and on and on about the same things over and over again until eventually people stopped coming in.

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The ultimate in soul destroying boredom must be when friends bring their holiday snaps to you. A thousand pictures of them pulling the same silly face while drunk in a bar. And yet they have a story to tell about each and every bleedin' one.

Here I am so indebted to the net. It is so much easier to scroll down a few pages without them noticing and they just carry on with 'yeah and here is me with my arm half an inch more to the left' as applicable.

When this was forced viewing of hard photographs it was so much harder to escape....burning batches of photos was not easy to hide.

14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I, though, am not without sin. I recount my dreams if they have been especially vivid :oops: . . . my only saving grace is that I like hearing about other people's dreams . . . and yeah, dreams are weird.:);)

nomad likes this.
  15. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I once fell asleep during an evening devoted to looking at gap year photos.

dumpty and emerald52 like this.
  16. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Slideshow evenings were a thing once. Just as mind numbing as SLT PowerPoint presentations at inset days.

sodalime, dumpty and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Wedding speeches.

18. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Typically, a bore hole used as a water well is completed by installing a vertical pipe (casing) and well screen to keep the bore hole from caving. This also helps prevent surface contaminants from entering the bore hole and protects any installed pump from drawing in sand and sediment. Engineers and environmental consultants use the term bore hole to collectively describe all of the various types of holes drilled as part of a geotechnical investigation or environmental site assessment (a so-called Phase II ESA). This includes holes advanced to collect soil samples, water samples or rock cores, to advance in situ sampling equipment, or to install monitoring wells or piezometers. Samples collected from bore holes are often tested in a laboratory to determine their physical properties, or to assess levels of various chemical constituents or contaminants. And that is the end of the boring story, dear readers.

*somebody had to do it in the absence of a 'similar take on the subject matter' post from @nomad *

nomad, cissy3 and emerald52 like this.
  19. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

My aunt tortures us with her iPad of endless photos - usually her holidays or her grandchildren. What makes it hellish is that for each posed photo opportunity, there are at least twenty nearly-identical shots, and we have to sit through them all. She seems oblivious to our pain.

I had a kid in my class who told boring stories once. It was mostly bragging, and I lost interest about the first week of October. Even when my eyes glazed over or I started doing something which required my full attention, they’d carry on.

cissy3, emerald52 and sodalime like this.
  20. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Yeah, 20 minutes in and those bright, eager smiles are fixed, forced grins above glazed eyes.