1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who can lead a games lesson?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by edenhendry, Sep 9, 2012.

1. edenhendry

edenhendry New commenter

Hi all,

I started at a new school this week. It's a junior school and I am one of three HLTAs on site.

I have been given my timetable and am amazed to find that one afternoon the 3 of us are covering PPA cover during games. None of us have any training in PE, and there is no Qualified Teacher present.

Just to be safe, I wanted to ask if there are any requirements of staff taking PE lessons?

I had a quick look on Internet and couldn't any guidelines.

ThanksP

2. edenhendry

edenhendry New commenter

Hi all,

I started at a new school this week. It's a junior school and I am one of three HLTAs on site.

I have been given my timetable and am amazed to find that one afternoon the 3 of us are covering PPA cover during games. None of us have any training in PE, and there is no Qualified Teacher present.

Just to be safe, I wanted to ask if there are any requirements of staff taking PE lessons?

I had a quick look on Internet and couldn't any guidelines.

ThanksP

3. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

You are on games because no-one in your school wants to take it.
    As a HLTA you can take any lesson without a qualified teacher, however the plans and schemes of work should be supplied by a qualified teacher.
    Therefore go to the PE coordinator in your school (you should have one) and ask them what they want you to teach. They should supply you with lesson plans and a long term PE plan.

4. edenhendry

edenhendry New commenter

Funny you should say that [​IMG]
    I do have the lesson plans for the full Autumn term.
    I only ask as a couple of colleagues had raised eyebrows at HLTAs taking the lesson, citing problems with insurance etc. As I said, there were no guidelines I could find regarding needing knowledge of how children's physiology is different to adults', but wanted to ask to make sure.
    FYI, I did ask HT but was given a vague, and not very confidence-inducing answer! Sounded like he wasn't exactly sure about any legislation and that all would be covered under the 'HT discretion' umbrella.
    Thanks for your answer.

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I'll hazard a guess it is a Val Sabin file.
    The insurance argument has been around for years, and is the common one primary teachers use to avoid teaching PE and games. You can teach anything the Head tells you to teach. If the primary teachers are raising eyebrows then why don't they take the session and plan a nice maths lesson for you to cover instead?
    PE and Games is a tick box in most primary schools. As long as it is on the timetable then the school will be happy.

There are plenty of courses out there - I believe England Hockey even do one online now so teachers don't actually have to get up and move. Might be worth getting a few teaching awards - rugby, hockey, rounders etc. Even if you end up paying for it yourself - as many schools won't - it will set you up well in the future.