1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who can I list as a referee on application forms?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fiwilson, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I qualified two years ago and when applying for posts I obviously use my university course ,leader as the first referee. However, with the second one I was unable to use HT from my final teaching practice, so asked an 'acquaintance' who is a HT if she would be wiling to have her name listed, and she agreed. She has known me through a school capacity, but has not actually seen me teach.
    That's been fine up to now, but a vacancy has arisen at her school and I want to apply for it. So, I obviously can't put her down as a referee for this position, but my question is does it have to be a HT/someone involved with school who is the second referee?

Thanks

Fiona

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you are already teaching, you are actually legally required to give your last employer in a job involving working with children or young people. For a NQT obviously there is no-one actually in this position, as you haven't been employed yet. But why cannot you use the HT from a teaching practice (which is the equivalent), or your mentor there, which is what most NQTs do?
    My other suggestion would be that you ask this acquaintance who she suggests that you put down.
    Best wishes