1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

who can help me?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by tweetypi88, Jul 13, 2012.

1. <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post"> I'v just had a phone call from a school where I applied for a job. They have invited me to an interview on Monday-very short notice!!! They want me to do a 20 minute lesson for year 2 and 3 where I develop any aspect of numeracy through ICT(they'll be in the computer suite) I'm totally panicking-any ideas? Help!</td></tr></table>

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

No idea what a year 2/3 class is capable of, so also ask on the Primary forum.

Perhaps do some sort of data gathering exercise? Maybe measure arm lengths? Then you use Excel to draw a bar chart or something?

For a plenary, get them to tell you that arm length might be related to height... and hence lead into them telling you what the next stage of the investigation might be?

If there's time (I can't see it in a 20 minute session - it'll take them that long to log onto the computers), maybe give out a copy of some pre-prepared data (find some on the web or just make it up) and get them to present it using a mutli-column bar chart?

3. I would hotfoot it over to www.nrich.maths.org and click on stage 1 / 2 and see if they have anything that inspires you. Some of their activities have little flash applications that you can use interactively to explore something, like tessellations, etc.
    However, having said that, I have just tried and for some reason can't get on to it (I've not known it down before - if it's having a bad day just try again later - it is a fantastic resource).