1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who can apply to join the Teachers Pension Scheme ?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Gimenez2010, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Gimenez2010

Gimenez2010 New commenter

Dear All,

I don't come on here a lot and I've just written to my union for further info but thought I'd check here for further / additional advice.

I really hope you can help me and or at least direct me towards help as I am confused as to whom to turn to so apologies if I come across a little naïve.

I am a fully qualified British teacher with 25yrs experienced and fully paid up NUT pension paying state teacher.

I am looking for advice but for my wife's pension plan ( also a teacher) . She is currently not a member of NEU but I have been for 25 yrs ( and she is the named partner on my plan) .Obviously no prob with her joining if allowed.

My wife has asked me for pension advice which I hope you don't mind me enquiring.

She too is a qualified teacher with British QTS and over the last 8 years has been working on a part time basis doing supply work and more recently for the last 4 years has been PERMANENTLY employed by a non British International state school based in London ( IN THE UK THE SCHOOL IS CONSIDERED A PRIVATE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL registered with both Ofsted and the Independent schools inspectorate ( IF THAT MATTERS ).

In this school she does not ( IS NOT ALLOWED ) to pay into the SCHOOLS TEACHERS PENSION SCHEME which is administered in a EU country as she is a permanent UK resident paying into an alternative pension company which the school legally had to offer ( IT'S NOT A TEACHERS PENSION SCHEME).

My big question is does she qualify to pay into The BRITISH TEACHERS PENSION WHICH HER SCHOOL DOES NOT ADMINISTER .SHE HAS BEEN WORKING AND LIVING IN THE UK FOR 20 YEARS AND IS A FULLY QUALIFIED TEACHER .

WE ARE IN OUR EARLY 50S THERFORE WILL RETIRE IN ABOUT 12-15 YEARS

Any advice will be much appreciated

Please advise.

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Only state schools HAVE to use the TPS, others like your wife's are free to use a different scheme.

You do seem to be confusing Union Membership (NUT/NEU) with the pension scheme - one has nothing to do with the other.

The only way, I believe, for her to join the TPS is to leave her current school and join one that uses the TPS.

border_walker and Gimenez2010 like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You can’t decide to join as an individual. You can only use TPS if your school administers it. Many independent schools are opting for a cheaper scheme. As diddydave says, the only way is to work for a different school that is part of the TPS.

border_walker and Gimenez2010 like this.
  4. Gimenez2010

Gimenez2010 New commenter

Many thanks for your help much appreciated.