1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who are we there for?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chasingharrywinston, Feb 9, 2011.

1. I just want a bit of a rant really, and also to canvass opinion.
    Some of the people in my department are quite selfish and lazy, it's starting to really annoy me. People don't want to try new ways of doing things 'because it's easier' to do it another way, even if that's not the best way for the kids.
    We've been discussing time tables for next year and some staff were basically demanding certain classes; one member of staff refused to teach Y13 Lit because she only likes the Y12 texts, another demanded a Set 1 because she has had a Set 4 this year. The HOD just lets everybody get what they want but I think it's awful. We're also doing Lit texts the kids find really boring and dry because certain members of staff like them.
    We are there for the kids and who teaches what should be based on where people can make the biggest difference and improvements. I totally agree that it's unfair for the same people to have bottom set all the time etc. but I think demanding and throwing a strop til you get your own way is unncessary.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Some things might be more easily done a certain way if that way is more efficient. The pupils don't benefit from stressed out exhausted teachers who could, in some cases, do less work and do the job better.

I think that there is a case for saying that if the teacher loves a text they are in a better position to enthuse the pupils.

It's only fair to share the teaching sets equitably provided the teachers' skills are appropriate to the classes.

What do you do while all this "discussion" is taking place?

Anyway, when you're a HOD you can have all the fun of organising the curriculum sorting the timetabling and maintaining staff morale - easy to criticise from a non responsible perspective.

3. even if that's not the best way for the kids.
    Who is the arbiter of what is best for the kids?
    In reply to your original question, we are there for the parents. We are paid out of their taxes to educate their children. Or at least contain them whilst they go out to work.

4. I feel your pain! I'm also planning the timetable for next year and getting a barrage of complaints about different unit/texts etc. What it usually means is that I get the really dry academic stuff to teach and the rest of the team get the exciting things. Perhaps a little of it is due to lack of confidence in some areas of our curriculum but, basically, most of it is what you mention - laziness because their chosen elements require less marking/assessment than the rest.
    I think there's a bit of a culture where I work that the college owes them a living and a favour despite the staff's shortcomings. Tiresome.

5. Sorry - I went off on a rant there. Not especially productive or positve. Apologies [​IMG].
    I think we're there for all sorts of people. We're there to collate stats for the government, the parents and other interested parties. I'm not really convinced about the students being at the heart of our activities any more.
    Can you guess I'm on a bit of a downer at the moment?

6. How's your arm?

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

This all sounds very familiar.
    [​IMG]

You are there for fun, forget the rest, enjoy what you can.

8. Thanks for asking. The lump's gone from my wrist at last but I still get aches/pains in my arm. Being refered to a rheumatologist because they think the tendon might be damaged. Just for once, that's not why I'm grumpy[​IMG].
    How are you Lily?

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I work part time and have been given pretty much ALL bottom sets. We might be there for the kids, but coming into work and facing some of those classes, in an already tough school, for 5 hours straight can be pretty soul-destroying, especially when the HOD has ALL the top sets and KS4! Her argument is that if i have to have some split classes it's not fair for top sets to be disrupted, but actually i think it's the bottom sets that need the continuity. Plus I have a couple of Y7 sets that i'm always there for, so at the same time higher sets are being taught, so that argument doesn't work!
    I think when the timetable is sorted out, it needs to be fair for both the staff and pupils.
    When I studied English lit A Level I didn't like a couple of the texts, but because my teacher was so enthusiastic, it didn't matter.

10. It's highly unlikely that everyone involved will be suited when it comes to picking a text to study. Everyone loved Animal Farm when I did O-level. Except me. I'm still not all that knocked out by the sledgehammer analogy.

11. I wouldn't be taking so much personal preference into account when timetabling. Yes, you play to strengths but just because one person is good at dealing with lower sets doesn't mean they shouldn't get the opportunity to have top sets too. I like a bit of balance across my timetable. Really intense lessons with a top set can be far more draining than some bottom sets.

12. I agree that people should have a bit of balance, but I can't stand the almighty strops thrown when people don't get their own way. One person has never had a class below a set 2 because she just cries!
    In terms of text choice, I agree that if a teacher is enthusiastic about a text then the kids often will be too, but refusing to teach ANYthing else seems a little extreme. Also it's AS Level so the whole course revolves around three texts - if the kids aren't inspired by them (and the ones I teach don't seem to be) then they struggle.

13. Well, if throwing a strop and bursting into tears is the only way things get decided in your school, why don't you just throw a strop and burst into tears?
    Often people will like things the way they were - because they WORK!
    There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

14. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Please tell me you wouldn't resort to this?! [​IMG]

15. Of course I wouldn't.
    I am big gob CQ who would be fighting, would I not?
    I was being a bit sarcastic, sweetie.
    As you might have guessed when I said " Often people will like things the way they were - because they WORK!"
    The day I throw a strop and cry to get my own way, you can shoot me.

16. How can you take people seriously who do this? All it provokes in me is gales of laughter and an iron determination to do the opposite.

17. Yeah, but we seem to be at odds with everyone else who puts up and shuts up.
    I don't get it, honestly I don't.
    Years of bleddy emancipation up the spout, cos no fekcing younger woman will open her bleddy mouth and fight.