1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whizz, bang, wallop - maths enhancement

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by paul_mc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Happy New Year to everyone.
    Does anyone know of any individuals or groups that would come into secondary schools in the North West to do some different type of maths. By different I mean a sort of maths show or theatre group,
    Years ago we had Jonny Ball in and that type of thing is what I am looking for.
    We have run maths mystery nights, maths treasure hunts, Liverpool maths roadshow and maths quizes ourselves.
    I know of Andrew Jeffrey, but he is fully booked.
    We have some funding and I am looking for an all day thing with the whole of a year group or small groups - just depends what the person or people do,
    Thanks in anticiaption.

2. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

You could try Matt Parker.
    We had him this year and was very good (flexible/reasonably priced/kept all of out year 9 entertained for 2 hours whilst the rest of the school was sent home)
    He has a variety of sessions. He is based in London, but very willing to travel.
    Bric

3. Thanks Bric I will Google him.
    Anyone know of any others?

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

We had some chap from engima come over and give a talk on code breaking. He was very good and the students enjoyed the talk and the associated activities.

5. Thanks to everyone for their posts.
    Now its a case of reasearching them!
    Kjartan Poskitt seems good.

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

To be fair, they do actually sell a CD of the sets of activities, so that you can do precisely that!