1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whizz Bang Explode

Discussion in 'Primary' started by icclejen, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Helloooo
    I am hoping someone could help me become inspired! My new topic after half term is called
    Whizz, Bang, Explode and is meant to have a Science theme i.e. the kids do lots of practical hands on experiments.
    I have had one idea but don't want to spend a fortune and was wondering about doing it through CSI and turning my classroom into a bit of a Science lab maybe but don't know how to do this!
    Has anyone got any ideas of experiements I could do that have that WOW factor or any other ideas on how I could approach the topic without losing my whole half term setting up for it?!
    Jen

2. Hi,
    you don't say what age you are teaching, but I have found this to have ooooo effect:
    You will need:
    empty film cannister or similar small container with a tightly fitting lid
    blue tac
    soluble vitamin C tablets
    water

Method
    using the blue tac attach a quarter of a tablet into the lid of the container
    put a small amount of water in the container
    replace the lid tightly
    turn the container onto it lid on the floor (pref outside - this bit is messy) and retreat

results
    as the tablet dissolves it fizzes, producing glass and making the container and the lid part company at high speed with a loud bang.

check out this site for some more ideas:
    http://www.planet-science.com/categories/experiments.aspx

3. email me - I have stuff worth looking at!

gertie (at) grumbles.me.uk