1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whiteboards

Discussion in 'Science' started by goatherd, Jul 14, 2011.

1. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

Hi,
    I start a new job in September at a middle school.
    I have been told there is to be an interactive white board being fitted, but that I would not have a normal whiteboard. If I want a new normal whiteboard, I can have that instead,but no IWB. I have not had any experience of an IWB (am an NQT).
    So my question is - which is better to have a whiteboard (which the projector also shines onto), or an IWB. I know that I would like both, but there isn't room :(
    Thanks
    Goat

2. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

IWB every time.

You can use it as a whiteboard plus everything else

3. But just wait 'til the damn computer crashes and you can't use the IWB as a normal whiteboard with pens.....
    I had to resort to sticking up sheets of A3 with blue tack!
    Is it possible to have a portable whiteboard/easel type whiteboard in the room that you can move as needed to supplement the IWB? It is also useful to be able to leave up keywords/ learning objectives for reference during the lesson. I really hated only having an IWB.

4. sep2

sep2 New commenter

I only have an IWB and I do miss having a whiteboard to write on during the lesson (i know you can but sometimes it is nice to have a page on a flip or PPT and write something else on the board next to it).
    I have worked in a school with an easel type board and that was great.

If I had to choose I would pick IWB every time and as the above user says :-
    for when the board doesn't work if you cand get any ordinary board in your room.

5. Personally I'd go for the normal markerboard and projector option.
    I have a rollerboard and IWB on wall next to it. Use the rollerboard far more than the IWB. Love writing with a normal pen.
    In my opinion far too many schools have wasted money on IWBs....

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

IWB is usually great.
    But I owuld not be without my old dry wipe board next to it for key words, objectives, homework etc.
    Sometimes you just need to leave stuff up on display.
    P

7. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Congratulations. I did my NQT as a Middle School Science Teacher. Best School system ever. I would definitly say interactive every time.

8. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

Thanks for the advice, still not sure :)
    I think I would like the IWB, but I will see whether there is space for even a small whiteboard when I go in on Monday.
    By the way, is it possible to use the IWB as a normal whiteboard with dry wipe pens; a placement school did this, apparently without problems, but most people say dry wipes can not be used. Why is this so?
    Thanks
    Goat

9. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Most IWB won't wipe clean if you use a board marker. Also in my limted experience with IWBs, the pen needs re-calibrating far too often, gets lost fto and the battery dies fto. And there are times when you just want to write on something..
    Go for a normal whiteboard and a Wii remote.
    Failing that, I still quite like using a chalk board.