1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

White teeth have never seemed so unattractive.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Maybe I'm just a snob, but I'm finding the current trend for unnaturally white teeth/veneers a real turn-off. I know it's because it's a look popular with, shall we say, z list 'slebs', which is why I'm wondering if it's snobbery on my part.

Saying that, over-white teeth look so obviously fake. Jarring...

2. I suppose the same people are sporting fake tans, fake eyelashes, fake bosoms, etc. Why not fake teeth...
    Also - when getting veneers, do the originala teeth not have to be filed down? Why would people go through that in order to get cheap looking fake ones..?

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, it's the fake look I hate.
    For the same reason I hate obviously fake false nails with overly white tips. Horrible

4. I agree that it looks fake. Nice, naturally white teeth are lovely (of course) but when they're all evened out and bright white then they look like dentures!
    I've just had a crown put in and my tooth had to be filed to a stump - it flippin' hurt and can't imagine what it'd be like to have that done to all of my teeth. My dentist suggested a vaneer but then back-tracked when I told him I'm a clarinettist/saxophonist because, apparently, it'd ping off.

5. Yes! That's it - they do! WHY would someone in their twenties want to look like they're wearing dentures? It's daft.

6. No you're absolutely right. The look is awful. Don't people know teeth are meant to be ivory in colour...? As for veneers, don't they have to shave down - or whatever the term is - perfectly good natural teeth to fit the fake ones on top?

7. A few of my front teeth are crowned so I went through all the pain. However the colour was matched up to the rest of my teeth, so no gleaming white smile from me. I've lost the slight gap I had in my two front teeth though. I'm not sure if that is an improvement or not!

8. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

On one of the rare occasions that I have possession of the TV remote, I accidently (honest) clicked on the only way is Essex and I was dazzled (and not in a good way ) but all the young people wearing these new fangled dentures .
    The make up plastered on with a trowel/ huge eyelashes look is not good and I am sure they would look much more attractive with a bit less slap on.
    I did have my teeth whitened a few years ago by a fairly painless hour under a light and I was really pleased with the result but I think there is something to be said for a bit of teeth individuality.

9. I also know a couple of people who could really benefit from a teeth makeover though. A mouth full of grotty teeth is not an appealing sight either!

10. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the
    capability to make the world's first moronic man. This chav will be that man. Better than he was before. Faker...whiter...thicker."

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They're going to look even worse when they're older - you only have to look at some of the older Hollywood stars to see how awful those 'perfect' dazzlingly white veneers look when the rest of their faces have sagged and wrinkled. Scary!

12. And whilst their faces are saggy and wrinkled there are certain parts of them that appear to be impossibly pert for their age!

13. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Lot of pressure on the young due to Hollywood, I guess. We all still only tend to watch US films.
    I don't think we can argue that it does not make you appear more youthful, though. Although, yes, I do agree it depends how it is done. I recently went to Asia and the ladies there, probably due to diet, had the most beautiful teeth I have seen.....so, so white BUT more naturally shaped as they do not visit dentists too much.
    I am not sure if it is just California gossip, but there are rumours kids are being told to have ALL their teeth veneered - the idea being the dentist then removes exactly what makes the above girls stunning.....the natural and more uneven look to teeth.
    Tom Cruise is said to be the one who started this, having a mouth of healthy teeth shaved and capped for the Marvel comic look to his teeth. (Again....allegedly!)

14. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I have had mine lasered and use a top up paste every few months, but this gets them just to a natural looking white to compensate for the caffine, booze and fags. I also don't know why anyone would want to file down healthy teeth, when their extremely expensive new teeth will need replacing in ten years.
    I'd get it done if i have terrible teeth though like those on 10 years younger...

15. Alice Cooper now sports a new set of sparkling knashers. Looks ridiculous!!

16. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

I have just paid thousands for straightening, whitening and veneers. The reason ? I was so badly bullied at school because of my teeth that my entire life I have hated smiling. I could do something about them, so I did. They are not overly, unnaturally white- they look like my teeth should have been. My teeth were heavily stained in the enamel due to excess fluoride, the front top two teeth were very prominent and my bottom teeth were very uneven (one tooth was set behind the others).
    After 3 months of a lot of pain of wearing a brace everyday and night, 3 weeks of whitening & 4 veneers, I am finally happy with my smile. My bottom set are still not in place and I am still wearing a brace but in a couple of weeks I should be finally there.
    Yes, my teeth are/ were very healthy and strong (no fillings!) and they do file them down, but it is literally millimeters. They do not file them to a fang or point- just squared off like a nail. The veneers are then stuck on (like acrylic nails are).
    I totally agree that the really false looking ones are hideous but please remember that some people choose to have their smiles enhanced to give their self esteem a boost.
    For the first time in my life I feel confident enough to wear lipstick and I am in my mid 30's.
    LBB

17. I'm glad you feel better about yourself, and it's horrible you used to be bullied because of your teeth. I think though it's pretty obvious that the thread's about those people who are slavishly following some Hollywood trend, as opposed to needing a procedure for physical and/or emotional reasons..
    Btw - I heartily recommend Bodyshop Brilliant Red. It's my current favourite :)