1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

White Sauce Tip

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I've always done my white sauce like this nick - in fact I think it was Delia that suggested it years ago!

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

What were you're reservations nick?
    Mine would be getting the balance of liquid and flour right. I never bother to measure anything, so add the milk bit by bit until I get the consistency I want.
    I've often wondered why I care about cooking more than some other people I know. In part, it's a sort of therapy for me, something I can be creative with outside of work, although as a consquence I get lumbered with the chore of it even on days when I'm knackered.
    I guess that in some way, making sauces is a bit like an artist mixing paints to get the exact colour he wants instead of using paint straight out of the tube.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Fair enough, Cosmos. I'm wary of this being a 'sucking eggs' thread, given the wealth of experience on here! [​IMG]
    My reservations were fear of a lumpy sauce...
    I know what you mean re quantities - I never measure either, but I go on the basis of about:
    1oz of butter:2oz flour:half a pint of milk for a thick sauce or 1oz butter;2oz flour:1 pint milk for a thin sauce.
    I never measure, but these quanities are easy to estimate.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

At home I do the all in one method, bung it all the pan and bring to the boil whisking like mad till it boils and thickens. I also taught this to KS3, GCSE pupils learnt the roux method. TBH at home I leave the butter out for cheese sauce, does just as well.

5. Fair enough, Cosmos. I'm wary of this being a 'sucking eggs' thread, given the wealth of experience on here! [​IMG]

and I am a Granny too nick [​IMG]

6. My aun ts swears by making the sauce lumy and then microwaving for 15 secs to get rid of the lumps. No idea if it works.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

It does work but I prefer to add it bit by bit. Making a white sauce is like making a risotto for me...the stirring sensation is so soothing - I get something from that that whisking something for 15 mins wouldn't give me!