1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

White Rose Maths resources

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jules1982, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Jules1982

Jules1982 New commenter

Hi All,
    I wondered if anyone could shed some light on the WRM resources. We are currently carrying out a Mastery study for 2 weeks. Less objectives, mastery lessons etc. I cannot access the Multiplication (Block 3) resources or find them anywhere!!! Does anyone know why or how I could get them?
    Anyone currently using them in KS2? How? is it any good?
    Thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

There are several WRM resources on TES - have you looked here for instance?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think they are gradually updating their resources, so not all blocks are available yet. If you follow their LTP you're fine, otherwise it will be a bit hit and miss this academic year. Resources and scheme are amassing though

4. modgepodge

Amazing not amassing!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Block 3 isn't available yet.
    Most people are only just starting block 2.
    And yes, agree with @modgepodge they are amazing.

Mind you, less (fewer?) objectives isn't really the point of mastery lessons and I cannot see the point in doing anything for just a fortnight.

6. Jules1982

Jules1982 New commenter

We follow the
    We follow the NC - our co-coordinator is seeing if this is the way forward without rushing into anything. So each year group is completing a case study. But I will pass on your comments about White Rose. I am impressed with it. There are too many objectives to cover with our current planning .We feel we are moving onto the next area before the children have really 'mastered' anything.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

White Rose covers all the objectives from the NC, there aren't fewer.
    They have just organised them into a sensible way of teaching.

A better way of trialling the idea would be not to teach any of the multiplication and division of your current scheme for now and then following the entire block when it is released. I think the block is about 6 or 8 weeks long and should be released in about 6 weeks time when people come to the end of addition and subtraction.

Jules1982, Pomz and alexanderosman like this.
  8. modgepodge

I saw a tweet today saying block 3 is being released tomorrow. For y5 this is the multiplication/division block.

Caterpillar to butterfly I am following the blocks and I will start block 3 in 2 weeks time max? First y5 block was 2 weeks, second also 2 weeks I think?? Not sure I could stretch the first 2 blocks out an extra 6 weeks?!

9. modgepodge

Totally agree a 2 week trial seems very odd though, especially for a "mastery" approach! You need far longer to give it a chance.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

Ahhh ok. I teach year 3.
    We had three weeks on place value and then about five weeks on addition and subtraction. Then we start about six weeks on multiplication and division (three each side of Christmas holidays).

11. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

I know this sounds like a stupid question but how do people use the WRM resources? I am following the order they have been released in and using each small step as a lesson (roughly). I normally use the fluency and reasoning questions in my lessons either as a whole class question for us to look at or as questions for the children to complete in their books. I also use other resources like MNP, Collins etc as the independent activities for the children to do. Is this what others do? I'm guessing you can't just use the small step document as your whole lesson?

12. caterpillartobutterfly

I do more or less what you do @Keep Smiling!
    Last year the plans usually lasted a whole lesson for my class, this year they don't. (Not sure if it is the change in planning or the change in class)
    I find I need to use other resources for independent work.

I like it though and the children seem to be getting lots from it.

13. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Yes I agree. I really like it and it has definitely helped with the order I am teaching things in. I think the reasoning questions are great and the children seem to enjoy them - I am hoping their ability to reason will improve as we go through the year. I just wanted to check others were doing similar! So last year did you only use the WRM questions as your independent activities?

14. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Block 3 is quite short for some year groups

15. Jules1982

Jules1982 New commenter

It's not a trial of the white rose. We're going on a mastery course so completing a mastery case study.

16. Jules1982

Jules1982 New commenter

Thanks for all the messages on this. WRM looks like a way forward with how positive and rewarding it sounds on here. Hoping our SLT let us move forward with it.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

Mostly, yes. With some fluency supplements for the four operations.
    It's free, they'll love it! :rolleyes:

18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

We're using WR in all our schools. Teachers all seem to like it...