1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

White Rose Maths/Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissyMs, May 30, 2018.

1. MissyMs

MissyMs New commenter

Hi. I have a lesson observation coming up and I would like mine to be during my Maths lesson. As a school we have recently introduced White Rose Maths as a way of teaching. I teach Year 1, mainly EAL, LA students. Does anyone have any wonderful lesson ideas/plans/advice to share please? I am still learning this way of teaching, but I do very much like it.
    Thanks

2. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

What objective do you want to teach ?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Without knowing which areas of the curriculum you still need to cover, the ability of your class, etc no one can suggest a lesson!!

White rose is big on practical resources, pictorial representations, discussion. Try to include these in whatever you do, I would say.

4. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

I would agree with this - have some continuous provision that reflects the objective too eg if doing number bonds to 10/20 you could have number cards and towers of cubes with white boards for them to find different combinations . Similarly , numbered skittles outside can be used for the same thing (choose two which add to make 10/20) . Plus, even if you have LA , you can still have some reasoning activities to stretch them - EAL children can access this with support to verbalise answers !

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Whatever you choose to focus on, ensure the aims of the curriculum are a key part of the lesson ... reasoning is a biggy!