1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

White noise to help baby sleep

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by lilypot, May 18, 2011.

1. In fact, forget cheapy batteries - rechargeable ones would be better.

I just had a look and the device also plays music. Quite nice to have a few options!

2. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

How about the slumber bear? It is a teddy bear with a separate unit that has womb noise, white noise etc that goes on for about 5 mins and is reactivated when baby starts crying. We used this with LO until about 6 or 7 months and it did have an effect I think.

3. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

We have something called Pink Noise- you can get white noise and brown, but the Pink is like static but more bassy- LO didn't like the basic White Noise and I don't know what the Brown is! Google it- we use an ipod to play it for her.

4. Hi nick, my friend had a specific white noise CD she bought to help her newborn settle and it worked a treat. I can find out where she got it from if you'd like.
    Just an idea, and I'm sure you and Donna prob do already, is M swaddled for a sleep? When our two were babies they just wouldn't settle unless they were swaddled. I used a cot sized sheet although now I know proper swaddle blankets can be bought. My girls are 7 and 9 now, doesn't seem that long since they were born!
    Suze

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Thanks folks, don't own an ipod, nor an analogue radio any more, so have bought a few mp3s online, for not too much money - good value actually and if it works it's priceless anyway! One called Sleepy Brown Noise is the most effective; a background hum mixed with vaguely mechanical whirring noise that breaks the silence enough for her to relax. We liked the waves one but that's because of an association she won't have yet, so she's not fussed!
    Suze - Yes we do swaddle her but she likes her hands free, as she likes to rest her head on its side, on her hand (so cute, and the same way dad sleeps!) so we swaddle her loosely. She gets in a flap and wakes up trying to free her arms if we do her tightly.
    Thanks all

6. We left the extractor fan on in our en suite bathroom- worked a treat, and luckily OH and I got used to sleeping with it on (previously there's no way I'd have been able to sleep with that on, but you find a way when you have a newborn!)