1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

while we're talking about homework.....I need your help please

Discussion in 'English' started by sparklyeyes, Jan 18, 2008.

1. I too wish I didn't have to set homework, and indeed I'm **** at it, however I have been rollocked today for not setting homework. The thing is, I have no idea what to set apart from spellings/redrafts etc. I have a lot of bottom sets and I know they won't do it, and then I will be expected to go down the detention route, send letters home route (as if I didn't have enough to do!, anyway, any ideas what to set?

Thanks in advance.

2. I too wish I didn't have to set homework, and indeed I'm **** at it, however I have been rollocked today for not setting homework. The thing is, I have no idea what to set apart from spellings/redrafts etc. I have a lot of bottom sets and I know they won't do it, and then I will be expected to go down the detention route, send letters home route (as if I didn't have enough to do!, anyway, any ideas what to set?

Thanks in advance.

3. Set a long term project. Have a look at www.primaryresources.co.uk - there are some great homework activities suitable for KS3, esp lower ability kids.

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

We are currently writing homework booklets to go with each unit of work.

These are handed out at the start.

All the same formula - Week 1 - learn list of key words on page 1.

Tailored tasks for middle weeks e.g.: a bit of research, a word search etc

Final week - What did you enjoy?
    What did you learn?
    What would you like to do differently?

There are a couple of others, but it's Friday night and I am not really working!

5. Thanks. I don't work on friday nights either however I thought I might as well post on here and give you good folk time to reply so that when I plan on sunday I've got the answers. :)

6. Ah, see I'm home alone, Mr G is working till 10 and while you're working on Sunday I'll be out playing. lol

7. I love my friday night's. Both teenaged kids out, O/H playing tennis, it's brill. Sadly I like doing my tidying up on friday evening lol.

8. Hehe. Friday night dullards are we!

9. talking of tidying, I'd better do some now the Street has finished, except I feel rubbish cos of the thick white bread and butter, and maltesers I have had lol

10. What's your email addy Sparklyeyes? I have a set some longer project type homeworks for my Year 7 class since September and could send you the sheets I gave them.

11. We have homework booklets for each year and each term which we roll out every term. These booklets were created as a response to parents complaining about lack of homework. This way we are confidently (and easily!) setting homework regularly, and add our own as we need to.

I could send you one of each for years 7, 8 and 9 if you like? anna@danebury.net

12. hepburn and klaproos, my e-mail is sparklyeyes1@btinternet.com

Thanks in advance for e-mails, and thanks to those who have posted links to good sites. I've book marked these.

x

13. I struggle with setting homework consistently.
    Could I have a look at your booklets please?
    Thank you kindly,
    Ray
    rwgallagher@hotmail.com

14. Hi

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but any chance you could send me a copy please- I am looking at over hauling ours to see if it encourages students to complete.

Thanks