1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which year?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grasshopper2000, Mar 17, 2019.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

Which year would you say this writing is from? It has been typed as the child is dyslexic (I have copied and pasted it).

Sprout and badger are rats they are the cutest rats in the wold sprout is a bleu rex dumbo and badger is a borne rex dumbo they are brothers and live with an owner called Rachal. They come out to play every day which they love. They also love playing with the cats (chasing their tails.) but before all of that it was completely different. They were at a bad breeding place where they were in a tiny plastic box there were no bars to climb and not even any toys all there was, was a small bottle and a bit of food. There were are other rats in the box but with them there was no way of moving. From the box they could see died rabbits, hamsters, rats and other animals they breeder, their cage never got cleanout not even when there was a rat that died in the cage. The ear stunk of rotten died animals and poo and wee. Some time they were going to go to a pet shop like pets at home or jolly's and get sold, even if we were ill. The owner didn't kere about them only for the money. They berly saw their owner but there was one time they did and they wished it had never happened his lips were cracked, he was fat and ugly. His teeth were crooked, razorlike and yellow. Just looking at him made you want to gag. One dark night they all herd him shouting at some kind people they were not gagwerevy in fact bagger and sprout cold not stop looking at them. They said that they needed to phone the poleis because they were going to take us to a noise place to live with nice people.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Y5 Is there a prize if we get it right?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Year 2?
    Bright year 1?
    Not so bright year 4?

Why does it matter what year they are?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I'd say year 4 … but (sadly) it could be Y6!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Its impossible to say, isn't it. A year 2 child who could write this in year 2, equally could write it again in year 3, yer 4, year 5.........

I don't think I know many year 1s that could write that volume, although they could write any individual part of it.

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd also guess year 6 as it is reminiscent of the 'artificial way' they 'learn' to write for SATs to 'hit various criteria'. For a dyslexic to have produced that amount of writing also suggests they are that sort of age.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

From the OP's other threads, s/he is teaching an upper KS2 class, so presumably it is from year 5 or 6.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. grasshopper2000

Good detection work, but it's not actually my pupil.

Interesting replies though, anywhere between yr 1 and 6!!

She is actually yr 7, but I don't believe a yr 7 level which is why I posted here. A lot of grammar and spellings have been corrected by the computer.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh I don't know. I've had Year 7s who couldn't produce that level of work. It may not be 'the expected level' for Yr 7 but for a dyslexic it isn't in fact that bad.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

No, I don't think it is at the expected level for a year 7, nor anywhere near.
    However, that shouldn't be a problem if there are things in place to support and to allow the child to catch up.

How do you have it is it isn't your pupil?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. grasshopper2000

She's my daughter.
    School believe she needs no support although she has an EHCP and not just because of dyslexia!

12. caterpillartobutterfly

She may not in class if the teacher is excellent and sees your daughter making great progress.

I had a boy in my class a few years ago who started the year with something like 15 hours support a week. By the end of the year it was down to about 3 hours a week. However, a couple of terms later and he was back up to 15 hours as the next teachers couldn't get through to him at all. By the next academic year, his parents were being advised that the school might not the right place for him and perhaps he needed a school with a large SEN department, or to be in the state system where there is access to more SEN support. Such is life!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I would say more than half of my year 7s could do better than that. in regards to spelling and grammar.

14. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

If your daughter has an EHCP, then she is legally entitled to the provision that it outlines. It is a legal document. I expect you have spoken to the SENCo already. If you have had no joy, the next step might be to consult your Local Authority caseworker (name should be at end of EHCP).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.