1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which year had the best music?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 23, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sorry about that - if you click on them they become much larger and readable! Honestly!

Shedman likes this.
  2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Irrespective of the relative merits of 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 or 1984, the message is clear - that was the greatest ERA in music, with loads and loads of genres, from punk to heavy metal to electronic music to progressive rock at their absolute peak.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I agree. While there is some great music particularly from the late 60's to late 80's, on a year by year basis, it was relatively rarer with a greater proportion of also-rans.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Not many people under 30 would agree. The greatest era is strongly related to one's age rather than music, so not an absolute.

5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The point is that the technology of music had advanced massively. In the late 1960s they'd barely discovered the possibilities of the electric guitar, and the first Moog synthesizers were being developed. Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the debt owed by music to the pioneers of the late '60s, and the ground-breaking influence of Sgt Peppers and other albums. However, they were to be built upon and developed by later musicians in later eras. It's a shame that there isn't a greater claim for the 1990s/2000s, with bands such as Oasis, Blur, Linkin Park, Green Day etc. However, I think hip-hop and the spin-offs like grime were musical dead-ends, and disastrous for the development of musical talent.