1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which year group is the most demanding?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by year6teacher93, Aug 9, 2009.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

h
    Having taught on and off for 30 years i think i have experineced all years in primary and (a long while ago) of secondary
    There is no positive answer.........i have taught for 2 years in yr4 and found one year demanding and the other year a right pain in the rear.As a now suply teacher i wouldnsay, withoutnthe paper work, nursery and reception are enjoyable.although you need eyes inthe back of your head for some of the stunts they perform.I find yr1/3 really hard as thier skill levels are often poor, and dicerning what they have often written is hard work, and i have literally been pulling my hair out with one yr2 class of deviants.
    I adore years 4-5 and love their curiousity and interest and often thier willingness to try.
    Yr6...well the they consider themselvess suprior and dont need to learn......umph!
    They are the most challanging to me as their entrenched attitudes are hard to deal with, and because thier work load is so boring with continous reptitious work on SATS.......let loose from that they blossom and leap at the new with eagerness..and then become demanding because they surge quickly ahead on topics and new learning ........bringing different demands upon you as a teacher.

2. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Olivia is right - you get challenging personalities in every class, regardless of age. Some kids are more difficult than others. Sometimes the chemistry just isn't there, which can make it more draining to stay professional all day, every day. On top of that, though, I think everyone has their strengths and weaknesses which will make different year groups challenging for different individuals for different reasons. I know people who simply couldn't stay on top of the marking in Year 5/6 but who thrive in Year 3. Similarly, I know first-rate Year 6 teachers who would flounder working in FS. And every other combination. This isn't because one year group is more challenging than another but because we all have different things we find especially challenging (or especially rewarding). Extended Writing. Transition work. Behaviour. Mopping up vomit. Shoelaces. Residential trips. Guided Reading. Synthetic Phonics. MFL. SATs. Whatever. One man's meat is another man's poison....
    Our colleagues in secondary school presumably have their views about which subject is hardest to teach - but a maths teacher, for example, has a different skills set to, say, a drama teacher and I think the same applies to teaching different year groups in primary schools. Yes, we can be more flexible, but it's a case of different strokes for different folks, surely?

3. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Oh, and Clematis? Chin up. Everybody else is right; it's not you. Back on the horse in September and you'll feel so much more positive by half term. Best of luck. :)

4. Thanks tiffster [​IMG]

5. The question is very Ofsted driven.I believe there are challenging demands in all years.Having taught in year six (N.Q.T. Year) and both Year Four and Year Five, I feel that you find your niche and 'run with it'.
    The key to the answer obviously belies it's question.I don't think year groups are generic howerever surely it's the class you inherit which gives you stress,delight when allocated in the run up to the summer break.
    In my experience Year Five was the best experience and Year Six was an experience (diplomatically said).

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

my year 6 i helped take over this year were a right pain in the rear.undiplomatically said lol
    yet just before the end of the term we finally gelled and they started to perform and work as a team, with hiccups........yet in a way i wasnt sorry to see them go although i miss the characters who individually contributed to moments of happiness and choas!

7. I have to say that I found year 6 a hard year to teach after having year 3 for a while. You spend 2 and a half terms running up to SATS with practically no time for anything else (we are in special measures), constantly trying to find ways to interest both the class and yourself and then have just over 1/2 a term to enjoy the class. However saying this and then seeing the amount of paperwork reception have to put in alongside resourcing etc. I would have to say its a toss up between Y6 and reception at least until SATs become more than the be all and end all.

8. I agree that there is no answer to such a ridiculous question. Each year has its own demands but i must admit that being a year four teacher i take offence to your answer to the the second stupid question. If the teacher is weak then they should be helped as there is no 'easy' class. Maybe you need to teach a year four class before you answer next time!

9. I teach a mixed Y5&6 class, where the year before last 1/4 of my class were SEN, this year 1/3 of my class have special educational needs. This is very demanding for all different reasons, there is definately no sitting at my desk to mark until they have all gone home, then it's planning, evaluations, marking and setting up. Homework takes forever to plan and set, not to mention mark too. I spend all day every day with various groups supporting their various needs, no just the SEN chdn but also the more able children etc. I also make a lot of my resources to be sure they suit the needs of the chdn and the objectives to be achieved. I would gladly take a year out to go to another class, however others are less enthusiastic about teaching in my class!!