1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by hana54, Oct 26, 2019.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi all, hoping you can help me make a decision because I’m going round in circles! Quite a long post- sorry!

Just to give you a bit of back story... I’m a teacher, I was working in a school until I had my first son. I then found the work/life balance incredibly hard and left. Since then I have been doing private tutoring from my home. I love teaching, I’m good at teaching, but it did cause me quite a bit of stress.

I’ve come to a time now in my life where I would like to start progressing in my career. Like buses, three opportunities have come along at once!

1) A teaching job has become available. 2 days a week at a local school. I’m passionate about teaching but am a bit anxious at the thought of going back.

2) A job has become available with my local council, coordinating SEND operations. A little out of my comfort zone, but it seems like an interesting role and one I think I’d enjoy.

3) An opportunity has come up that would allow me to grow my tutoring business. This is something I’ve dreamt about for a while and I have so many ideas BUT it would involve me taking out a small loan- there’s more financial uncertainty than being employed.

Which would you choose? I’ve been over and over the options in my head and I’m none the wiser. Any opinions/experiences would be gratefully received! Thanks

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Number one.
    It's bread on the table and it's not every day and it's close to home so it will keep you buoyant without too much stress.
    Not all of these things apply to the other two options, and yet you can still go on to explore one of them later
    You can grown your own tutoring business any time, you don't need to wait for "opportunities" , say, from a third party.

Number 2-"seems like an interesting role and one I think I'd enjoy" pits you against other applicants who may be dedicated SENCOs already. That's never a reason to not go for a job, but the way you have described how you feel about may mean you are not the best candidate. Who knows. (Also-You don't mention working hours or pay.)

Number one.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm with @sbkrobson . Take the first option. You'll have time to develop other strands.

4. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

Personally, I would choose option 2, but this is only my own opinion.

With 2 days a week, it is unlikely you will be able to progress more than classroom teacher. So that will be what you are doing for the foreseeable future.

Option 2 could mean working with lots of different schools and agencies, something different everyday.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don’t think youd have the experience for two- the way you explain it. It may be interesting, but you’ve barely taught for several years it sounds. I’d be surprised if you meet the requirements for something that is coordinating others.

3- if you’ve got contacts then this may be sensible. But I’d question how long tutoring is viable the longer you haven’t taught.... who wants to pay for their kids to be tutored by someone with limited and historic experience it the classroom?

1- sensible.

For me, I’d look at one AND three. One keeps you relevant, and gives you the finances to justify the loan.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I think it depends on your family situation, too - how old your children are, your childcare arrangements and your financial circumstances. I think it would be between 1 and 3, depending on how flexible you need your work to be or how much you need/want to earn.

7. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Thanks for the responses everyone- definitely food for thought! In response to some of your questions:

My children are 3 and 5. Oldest is at school and youngest is at preschool. My mum is brilliant and covers the extra childcare when I need it, so I’m incredibly lucky.

The second option isn’t a SENCO role, it’s coordinating the process/producing documents for EHCPs and the like. They haven’t asked for qualified teachers. The role was advertised as part time (no mention of actual hours) and the salary was up to 26k.

With regards to the third option- I already have a full tutoring timetable, a good reputation and lots of word of mouth referrals. I also do some work with the local authority, if those factors make a difference.

I agree that option 1 is the smart option- I’m just terrified of trapping myself in a situation that I may find incredibly stressful.

8. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Why don't you apply for everything and see what happens?

Teaching two days a week should not impede a tutoring business.

drvs likes this.
  9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Agree. I’d argue it will help it. It keeps you up to date and relevant

10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Perhaps that's the problem - going over it in your head. Get something structured down on paper listing the pros and cons of each alternative and try to quantify the importance of each. Give each pro and con a positive or negative weighting and add up your scores for each alternative. Which ever gives the highest score may be the option to choose. Show your paperwork to your partner or a trusted friend and ask their opinion.

purplerprincess and hana54 like this.