1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which visualiser?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Archimedes, Oct 26, 2008.

1. I've had a Smart one on trial in my class and thought it was brilliant. The kids loved it too.
    Now we are thinking of getting one ourselves. We have Smart Notebook software. They are pretty expensive though. Would one of the cheaper options eg Avervision Genee work just as well? Are they compatible with Smart software? What do I get for the extra money in the Smart one? Anyone got any advice based on experience?
    Thanks

2. I've had a Smart one on trial in my class and thought it was brilliant. The kids loved it too.
    Now we are thinking of getting one ourselves. We have Smart Notebook software. They are pretty expensive though. Would one of the cheaper options eg Avervision Genee work just as well? Are they compatible with Smart software? What do I get for the extra money in the Smart one? Anyone got any advice based on experience?
    Thanks

3. Buy a webcam (£10-ish). If you want the full visuliser effect, attach it to a retort stand from the chemistry department. If you want really high-quality video, buy a digital camcorder (£300 gets you a very good one these days) instead and you get to have a camcorder you can use, too.

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I've moved on from the old webcam and stand to a new Hi-Tech version.

I've biought one of those wireless AV senders ( about £50) and hooked it up to a cheap digital still camera though its AV out socket. The quality is not bad at all. But as dhicks says higher quality video cameras are fairly cheap as well

It is really useful, as I can move the camera around the room and project on to the screen. O.K. I still have to plug in the mains for the wireless Tx unit but it is not a great limitation -looking out for a battery operated version though.

I mainly use it in eletronics/DT to project images of students breadboard circuits and things up on the board and quite a few other depts have shown interest.

The cheap and cheerful approach means that we can have lots of these systems around the school rather than one very expensive unit.

But I suppose you'll end up like lots of others and be lured by the fancy looks and the ability to drop ' Been using my new VISUALISER with Y8' into your staffroom conversations.

5. thanks for your comments. I had thought of using a video camera, but the setup seemed too complicated.

Being a primary, we don't have access to retort stands, so the ready made visualiser is definitely attractive to us. I used it again today to do writing with the children and it was excellent to get them all involved and drafting and redrafitng together.
    It's not a feature of our staffroom that someone would drop stuff like this into the conversation for effect. We are just interested in doing the best for the kids.Maybe that's a difference between primary and secondary.

6. Hi, I'm thinking of buying a visualiser for my classroom (also primary) but not sure where to start! Do they project onto a blank screen or connect with smartboard? Which one have you gone for and would you recommend it?
    Many thanks