1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

which version of treasure island?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alsoamum, Dec 12, 2011.

1. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

Next term we are doing the text Treasure Island as part of our Older Literature unit.
    Has anyone done this text with their year 5/6 class and can recommend a film version which is good? I have watched a bit of the 1990 version on youtube but am pretty sure it's a PG, and also have found it hard to get a DVD copy of. So I wondered if there's a version which is a U which is any good?

2. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

Next term we are doing the text Treasure Island as part of our Older Literature unit.
    Has anyone done this text with their year 5/6 class and can recommend a film version which is good? I have watched a bit of the 1990 version on youtube but am pretty sure it's a PG, and also have found it hard to get a DVD copy of. So I wondered if there's a version which is a U which is any good?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There's a Storybook Classics version (U) but not sure if it's still available and there's also the Muppet version of course or there's an audio-book version. I'm sure there are many versions suitable, it's a case of looking at your class and deciding which would be best for them.

4. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

Thanks Lara, I will check out the storybook classics one and Muppets.
    They are a new class to me as I only start teaching them after xmas so was really after a general recommendation as I am also brand new to year 5/6 too. Is there anyone who has taught this text and used a DVD they thought was good at all?
    Would Muppets be too babyish for year 6? I am coming from early years and the last thing I want is them thinking I don't appreciate how grown up they are! [​IMG]

5. Walt Disney did a version in 1950. It's a U. Does that help? It's only 2.50 on amazon at the mo too!

6. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

I bought a couple of different versions of the film, so we could compare them against the book. The one we tended to watch more of was the Disney version.
    We kept the muppets as a treat for the end of the unit!

7. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

thank you Leicester_Vics The 1950's disney one is very cheap on amazon so think I'll go for that, and have watched a few snippets on youtube which look quite true to the book and think the children will enjoy it.
    Might, as you suggest get the muppets one for a treat but think the disney one is better for introducing them to the story as its a bit simpler.

Thanks everyone

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

It's on the telly over Christmas - you could record it for free...